A Letter To My 2020 High School Grad Brother

My brother, like many 2020 graduates, had his senior year cut too short due to COVID-19 and had to miss all the fun senior things that only come around once.

72
Peyton Davis

My brother has always been a very well rounded kid. He is good at school, he gets good grades, (when he tries) and takes AP college classes, teachers have always loved him. He also has played on his school volleyball team for the past four years and he has an exceptional group of friends who have stayed friends for many years throughout his time in school. My brother however like many other 2020 graduates got his 2020 Senior year cut completely short due to COVID-19. My brother lost out on his entire last season of high school varsity volleyball. He did not get to attend his senior prom or senior awards night. Most importantly he missed out on walking across the stage at his graduation with all his friends and family nearby. For most 2020 graduates everyone has had their losses and things they missed out on and it truly has been hard on everyone. Every 2020 graduate has been upset and mad that something like this would happen to them, but my brother has somehow remained completely positive when he should be throwing a fit like everyone else about losing out on so many last important memories.

My brother has been a rock for everyone around him. He has chosen to see the positives in life and be thankful for the memories he got to make in high school. He was able to have a "fake prom" where his girlfriend and he dressed up in what they would have been wearing at prom and took pictures together and had a nice dinner as well. He also got to dress up non what should have been his graduation day and take pictures with a few close friends of his and family. Lastly, he also had a volleyball parade where members of the volleyball team and coaches drove to everyone's houses with posters and balloons and they were able to celebrate the season that sadly did not happen. My brother has chosen to find the positives in this difficult time and has found ways to celebrate his accomplishments in any way possible during social distancing.

I hope my brother and other 2020 graduates know how proud everyone is of them. What should have been some of the best memories of their lives was taken away from them. It is extremely unfair but somehow they have found the positives in the situation. I am extremely proud of my brother and his accomplishments. He is going to go on to make so many amazing new memories in college. I see how bright his future is as a teacher. He is so compassionate, understanding, intelligent and quite a comedian. He is going to make an excellent high school English teacher. Cole COVID-19 may have halted your Senior year plans but it will not halt your future. College will be so different and if this experience has taught you anything you really have to enjoy every moment you go because you never know what the future may bring. The family and I are so proud of you for staying strong during this time and we cannot wait to see what you accomplish in your future.