An Open Letter To The High School Senior Who Just Got Accepted To NC State University

"A hand behind our back, we can take on all the rest."

147
Paige Ryan

To the future NC State student:

Hey, so you got the Big Envelope. Congratulations! Whether you come from a long line of alumni or you're the first in your family to attend NCSU, you have some of the best and most challenging years ahead.

Here's a little bit of what you can expect as you begin your college adventure from an NC State student.

Some of the best and worst freshman dorms.

Paige Ryan

When I was an undergrad student, I lived in Tucker my freshman year and Wolf Village for the next three years.

Best:

1. Tucker Hall

Oh yes, I'm biased. Since I entered NC State under the Exploratory Studies program, I was placed in Tucker. Tucker and its twin, Owen are only open to students with undeclared majors and their roommates. It's one of the most social dorms on campus, as part of the Exploratory Studies program is about making connections. Tucker (and Owen) are literally in the heart of campus. You're not far from your classes, Talley, and Carmichael gym. There's a volleyball net outside the building and plenty of space to lay out in the sun. Plus, Owen and Tucker have a friendly rivalry that's fun to participate in.

2. Turlington Hall

Turlington Hall has so much to offer for incoming students. A sense of community is cultivated almost instantly thanks to the frequent events. Turlington is also within excellent distance of the student center.

Worst:

1. Avent Ferry Complex

Okay, it's not horrible at Avent Ferry, but I don't think it's the best for freshman. The former hotel is located off of Avent Ferry Road and will mean a long walk to your classes on Main campus. People that I knew that lived there, didn't always feel like it was the most secure housing option. However, it has some of the larger rooms in campus housing and it's located right across the street from restaurants. It's also closer to Centennial Campus, so if you have classes there or if you want to check out Hunt Library, it's still a decent option.

2. Tri-Towers

Again, they're not awful. The Tri-Towers, or Bowen, Carroll, and Metcalf, are suite-style halls. While they are also located centrally on campus, they feature some of the tiniest rooms. And I've heard way too many horror stories about people getting stuck in the elevators.

A mini-city in Raleigh.

Paige Ryan

NC State is affectionately known as a mini-city in Raleigh since the campus is so large.

Raleigh is a pretty wonderful city to live, work, and learn. There are many large employers in the area, allowing for great internship options. You definitely need a vehicle to get around the area, but as an NC State student, you do have good access to the city bus system which can get you to some places.

Raleigh has a good music scene and is central in the state, allowing for trips to the mountains and the beaches.

I think one of the best things about Raleigh is the access to green spaces. There are many parks, lakes, and green ways for biking, running, and kayaking.

Some of the best places to eat:

Raleigh is home to award-winning chefs and as the capital, has many diverse food options. Here are some of the best ones!

Asian:Bo's Kitchen, Tonbo Ramen

American: Bad Daddy's, Snoopy's, D.P. Dough, Cookout

Pizza: Mellow Mushroom, Gumby's

Southern: The Pit, Bojangles

Health Foods: Buoy Bowls, Happy + Hale, Chopt

Latin American:Gym Tacos, Guasaca, La Horchateria, El Cerro

Some of the best places to drink (21 and up)

Paige Ryan

Once you turn 21, there are quite a few popular spots to go out with your friends in Raleigh.

Pantana's: Close to campus, affordable, pool tables, laidback.

Cornerstone: Extremely popular.

Alchemy: For clubbing.

Coglin's: A retro-themed club.

Back the pack!

Paige Ryan

NC State's sporting events are so much fun. I love football myself, so I really enjoyed attending our football games, win or lose. You can attend most games for free as a student through the lottery system. Sitting in the student section is definitely something you should do at least once. And tailgating outside of Carter-Finley is just part of the NCSU experience.

There are a lot of traditions at our football games, but if you've never been to one, you'll learn quickly.

If you're a basketball fan, those games are also fun! I lucked out one time with a couple of friends and got courtside seats. Many students camp out for basketball tickets annually.

Our swimming team is one of the top in our conference and won the ACC Championship for 2019-20.

You should definitely participate in Red and White week, and rushing the Belltower after a win is another bucket list item for an NC State student.

Raleigh definitely has four seasons, but we lean towards the warmer side.

Paige Ryan

A lot of people love this region of North Carolina since the weather is pretty nice. However, you should definitely pack clothes for all four seasons.

If you start at NC State in August, it's still going to be shorts and tank top weather until mid-September. Then, it will steadily cool down, but the colder temperatures usually start in mid-October. Fall in Raleigh is a pretty time of year, and between football and the state fair, there's lots to do.

If it's not cold yet in December, don't be surprised. Some years we still have 70 degree Fahrenheit days in December; other years we've had a snow. The winters here are very unpredictable. You may have two to three snowfalls, but sometimes you only get one. January and February tend to be the coldest months (2020 is a total anomaly) and these are also the months where we will occasionally have ice storms.

March and April bring a tremendous amount of pollen, so if you suffer from seasonal allergies, be prepared. There's also inchworms all over campus this time of year. Sometimes, there are hail storms and tornadoes, but they aren't common. The weather in March can still be a little chilly, but at the end of April you'll see things warm up.

By May, it starts to get hot. If you stay in Raleigh over the summers, be prepared for hot and humid temperatures and lots of thunderstorms.

WOLF!

PACK!

NC State is the one campus where you can cry "Wolf!", and get a chorus of random people yelling back "PACK!".

So future Wolfpack student, I wish you the best in your next four years.

Going to NC State was one of the best decisions I ever made. I always feel drawn to campus and whenever I'm back I instantly feel like I'm home. It's a feeling that you won't find on many other campuses. And it's what we sing in our alma mater: "Our hearts ever hold you, N.C. State --In the folds, Of our love and pride."

Welcome to the Wolfpack.