A Journey in Ladakh (Indian Himalayas)

A Journey in Ladakh (Indian Himalayas)

Ladakh (which means “the land of passes”) is an Indian region sandwiched between the Karakoram and Himalayan ranges.

27
A Journey in Ladakh (Indian Himalayas)

Ladakh (which means “the land of passes”) is an Indian region sandwiched between the Karakoram and Himalayan ranges. Ladakhcomprises the districts of Leh and Kargil. Leh is the main town, situated at an altitude of 3500m above sea level; it is the main base for all visitors to explore Ladakh. Kargil is the second largest town, key area to access Zanskar valley and the main stop on the Leh-Srinagar Highway. Ladakh is popular for its high mountain sceneries, picture-perfect Buddhist monasteries cradled on the rocky hills, high-altitude lakes, culture and people. Since Ladakh is a border area, Indian and foreign visitors need permits to visit areas like Nubra valley, Dha-Hanu valley, Pangong and TsoMoriri lakes.

3 top destinations in Ladakh

1. Nubra valley

The Nubra valley is a few hours driver from Leh. It is known as the valley of flowers and was part of the ancient Silk Road. You cross Khardung La pass (5602m), the highest motorable road in the world to enter the Nubra valley. Diskit is the main town and it is home to 14th century Buddhist monastery. The sand dunes in Hunder village are beautiful beyond imagination and it is famous for double humped camel ride. Turtuk village is another beautiful gem to discover, it was under Pakistan’s control until 1971, but later taken over by India.

2. Pangong lake

The Pangong lake situated at 4250m is one the most famous lakes in Ladakh. It is located in the Changthang region of eastern Ladakh. Pangong lake is surrounded by tall mountains and the waters offer spectacular reflections of these mighty mountains. The lake changes shades of blue and green with the rising sun. This blue brackish lake extends from India to China and it is breeding ground for a variety of birds including a number of migratory birds. The people who live in this region are called Changpaand they are the producers of Pashmina wool.

3. Dha-Hanu valley

The Dha-Hanu valley is known for the Brokpa community, a unique tribe. They are famous for their distinctive physical features, social life, language and culture. The Brokpa people are believed to be descendants of Alexander the Great. This region is famous for its delicious apricots.

Please visit Us: The Micro Blogging