A Busy Life

College life would not be nearly as hectic without my extracurricular activities. In the span of one year, I went from being so un-involved to so involved. I am a member or participate in activities belonging to each of the following; Sons of Confederate Veterans (I hold two offices), Civil War Reenacting, Hartwell Masonic Lodge, volunteer historical research, and grave preservation. Many of these activities cross over into other activities such as grave cleaning for the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV).

The Sons of Confederate Veterans is a historical organization classified as a fraternity. You must be a descendant of a Confederate Veteran to be eligible for membership. In this organization, I hold two offices. One at the Camp (local) level and one at the Division (state) level. For the local, I am a Camp Commander. The Camp commander is typically the leader or person who is the motivational backing of the local level. From SCV.ORG: The commander has a unique responsibility to lead, encourage, assist, guide, maintain esprit de corps, and above all, to work to achieve harmony within the camp. While an SCV camp is a democratically run organization, the camp commander does have the overall responsibility for the camp he has been elected to serve. The commander presides at all meetings or otherwise designates his subordinate officers to do so. He is nominated for office by a nominating committee, or from the floor. He will appoint all non-elected officers and all necessary committees and will perform such other duties as are usually incident to the office. He will fill all vacated offices occurring during his administration until the next election of officers, with the advice and consent of the camp executive council.

My Divison responsibilities consist of maintaining and keeping an inventory of the possessions owned by the division for the conduct of business. This includes some small electronics, flags, and advertising materials.

I became involved with Civil War Reenacting in 2013. The 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg was my 1st event and I have been addicted to reenacting ever since. The ability to put on clothes that went out of style 140 years ago, the ability to carry a 12-pound single shot muzzle loading smoothbore musket, the ability to smell the gun smoke and feel the cannon blasts, just being in the field gives me life... No matter the worries of life, I can escape for a couple of days and not have to be plugged in constantly just turn my phone off and just enjoy the escape.

I cannot explain much of the Masonic Lodge nor can I use the fraternity emblems yet. I look forward to the continuation of my work there.

Volunteer History and Grave work are two of my most cherished hobbies. Involving this with the SCV has given me full guardian rights of 2 veteran graves at both the national and state levels. Guardian status is a job taken for life and rarely given up before then. Volunteer research has also led me to investigate and research my SCV camp namesake Mr. Samuel C. Kelly, a prominent Oxford citizen in the early to late 1800s. It has also caused me to research Mr. Warren Davis Blewster. Mr. Blewster was a soldier of 22 years who was killed on Guadalcanal during WWII.

Thank you for reading, I hope you have thoroughly learned about my heavy involvement in fraternal and civic organizations.