9 Ways To Avoid Getting The Plague

9 Ways To Avoid Getting The Plague

Save yourself this flu season
89

Flu season is here people, and personally, I am feeling the brunt of it. People are getting sick everywhere and soon enough everyone you know, including yourself, will be sick. College is a breeding ground for illness and there is no avoiding it. Here are some tips (obvious or not) that will help you attempt to stay safe from the plague.

1. Wash Your Hands

This one is the most obvious and the most commonly said, but probably the least done. It takes 20 seconds, warm water, and soap. Done. Minimal effort for maximum effect for killing germs. Phones, computers, surfaces, etc are things we constantly touch every day, which are FULL of germs. Washing your hands will greatly reduce the opportunity of getting sick!

2. Use Purell

Okay, if washing your hands is really too hard for you, then Purell, or other hand sanitizers are the way to go. These come in all shapes and sizes, making it easy for you to carry them in your backpack, pocket, purse, etc. One simple squirt or spray and 99% of germs on your hands will be killed. How convenient.

3. Don't Share Drinks

Whether it's water or a drink at the bar, don't share drinks!!!!!!! This is such an easy and underrated way to get sick. "Try this" is something that's said numerous times during a night out as someone is brave enough to deviate from their favorite drink. This is direct contact with the person's germs and is one of the most direct ways to fall ill. I know it's hard but refraining from this could save you a week's worth of coughing and headaches.

4. Get Your Flu Shot

This is another one that's obvious, but it's scary how many college kids don't do this. If you haven't done so already, do it! It's annoying to take time out of your busy day to trek it to the health center or nearest CVS, but the results will be worth your while. This simple thing is meant to save you from the plague and without it, you are more susceptible to a world of gross and painful illness.

5. Drink LOTS of Water

Forcing the fluids is an amazing way to stay healthy. You can literally flush out illnesses before they've manifested themselves with water. This is a way to stay ahead of the game and out of trouble before it's too late.

6. Keep Vitamin C Levels High

Another way to stay ahead of the game. Whether it's drinking orange juice, taking EmergenC, or taking vitamin C pills, keeping your levels high will help your body fight against illnesses before they have even arrived!

7. Take Warm Showers

Showering is obviously a way of keeping your body clean. It is also a way to ensure that your body gets rid of any germs that weren't on your hands or face. The warm water kills germs better than cold water, which is important to keep in mind.

8. Wash Your Sheets

These are things you sleep on every night, whether your body is dirty or clean. You rest your head on your pillow and breathe/drool there all night. This is definitely a place for germs to congregate. Washing your sheets regularly will ensure that these germs are killed and that you're resting your head somewhere safe at night.

9. Stay AWAY From Your Sick Friend

I know this might be hard, especially if you two are close. Buy your friend medicine or make them soup, but after that stay away. Spending time with your friend or being near them while they're sick raises your sick of getting sick. Soon enough, they'll be taking care of you!

Flu season is here and better than ever. Follow these steps and save yourself before it's too late!!