9 Ways To Destress During Finals

9 Ways To Destress During Finals

Take a breath, watch a vine or two (or 30)

44
9 Ways To Destress During Finals
pexels.com

With thousands of colleges across the country, no one has the same experience. But whether you go to a big state school in a bustling college town, a small private school surrounded by suburbia or even a city school where your academic buildings are wedged between corporate offices, we can all agree on one thing: finals suck. No matter your individual school's curriculum, we all experience finals and we all know how stressful they are. While everyone cares about doing well and ending the semester, stress can take over and become overwhelming. Whenever I start feeling like this, I like to avoid doing work and destress with these nine things!

1. Take a lap

Sometimes when I've been sitting around for too long or am starting to get antsy, I like to walk around either outside (if you go to the school where it is always warm definitely do this) or inside (which is what I do because the northeast is cold as heck) to get my blood flowing. This little mental break always makes me feel so much better and ready to focus again while releasing some nervous energy.

2. Let it out

We all get frustrated sometimes and there is nothing better than voicing these concerns to your wonderful friends! Vent about anything and everything that is bothering you or write a list and keep it updated as things pop up. Letting the negative energy out instead of keeping it bottled up will make you more productive and just feel better all around.

3. Coffee breaks

There is nothing a cup of coffee (or tea) can't fix. The warmth is comforting and will keep you awake for a late night of studying.

4. Watch Vines

Vines are funny, short and will put you in a good mood. Stay away from social media that can make you upset but it wouldn't hurt to enjoy a couple of six-second videos!

5. Do something active

I am not a runner but if that is your thing, go for a run! Similar to taking a lap, this is a little longer of a break, will get your heart pumping and keep your energy up. Listen to your favorite music and get all the bad, pent up energy out and feel good about yourself.

6. Make a plan

I know I always feel better when my plans are organized so take a little extra time to get everything in order before you start your work. This way, you avoid some common stressors down the road! Plus, who doesn't love a color-coded planner?!

7. Check out your school's holiday activities

Most likely, your school will have a variety of holiday activities to participate in. From cookie decorating, to special treats being given out, to tree lightings and music celebrations, give yourself some time to enjoy the holiday season!

8. Take a shower

You'll feel and work your best if you are clean and changed into fresh clothing. This just means more time studying and less time trying to figure out how many days in a row you've worn this sweatshirt.

9. Call home

Take a break and call your loved ones. You may be heading home soon but I am sure they will still be able to offer you comfort and advice heading into finals and it will just make you even more excited to finally be back in your bed after a long semester.

Happy Holidays and good luck on finals!