9 Thoughts I Had During Sorority Recruitment

A diary of my inner thoughts as I tried joining a sorority.

158
Delta Gamma

Two years ago I went through formal sorority recruitment at UW-Eau Claire. Now I am a junior and have happily been a part of my chapter for two years. Even though it feels like forever ago that I was a freshman trying to find my home away from home, I can still remember every thought I had going through recruitment for my first time. Here are the nine thoughts I had during recruitment.

1. What if I don't look cute enough?

When I first signed up for recruitment, I went home and Googled recruitment to get an idea of what to expect. Plenty of pages talked about how I should dress cute. After reading this I went to Francesca's and picked out the cutest dresses and accessories I could find. Still, I found myself freaking out the day of. What if no one liked my outfit? What if I didn't look as cute as everyone else? Once I got to rounds, I realized my outfit didn't matter as much as who I was as a person and the girls cared more about who I was than what I was wearing!

2. Why is everyone singing?

When I went through recruitment I was the first person to walk into the room of the sorority my group was visiting. What I walked into was a line of girls singing. It was overwhelming at first and I didn't get why everyone was singing. But by the end of recruitment, it was one of my favorite parts about the rounds!

3. How do I know which chapter I fit in?

My first day was so overwhelming. I had met three sororities, all of which had amazing and kind women. They were all so cool that I was freaking out about how to pick just one! Eventually, I saw myself belonging to one chapter over the others as rounds went on and it all worked out for the best.

4. Can I still be friends with these girls even if I don't join their chapter?

The more I got to know the girls in all three chapters, the more I wondered if I could be friends with them even if I wasn't part of their chapter. After I joined my chapter I realized the answer was yes! Even though we might have different levels, we are all still Panhellenic sisters and our relationships with each other can be just as meaningful as the ones we have with our sisters.

5. What is it like living in the house?

Throughout the rounds, I would hear the girls talking about living in the house. Obviously, they're going to tell me it's great even if it's not, so the whole time I was wondering what it actually is like living in a sorority house. Well, my sophomore year I moved into my sorority house and it's just as great as the girls told me it would be!

6. What is pref night?

Throughout rounds, I would hear girls talk about pref night which was the last round of recruitment. No one really said much about what it was other than it was held at the different houses rather than a room on campus. This left me constantly wondering what pref night was going to be like.

7. I love this chapter so much can I just join already?!

Before pref night, I already knew which chapter I was leaning towards. However, after I went to the house of my current chapter I knew it was my home away from home and just wanted to skip ahead to being a sister!

8. TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!

On bid day I was so excited, I was hoping my first choice was going to give me a bid but even if they didn't I was just ready to join Greek Life and start the first day of the rest of my college life as a sorority women!

9. I love Greek Life

From the moment I stepped into my first round I knew I loved Greek Life and wanted to be a part of it. That was all that I truly needed to know going through the week of rounds to know that I was where I belonged!