9 Things You WILL Undoubtedly Miss Your First Week Of College

Including the things you thought you never miss.

107
Bowling Green State University

It's August. Kids are starting preschool, teenagers are returning to middle or high school, and young adults are either beginning or coming back to college. For those who are just now starting their college career as a freshman, it's often looked at as an exciting, yet nerve-wracking period. You can make your own decisions, you have no curfew, your parents aren't constantly on your back, and you don't necessarily have to go to class if you don't want to.

The world is yours and the freedom you've been given is more than you even know what to do with. Many can't wait to experience life on their own and create new friendships. However, there are things you realize that you miss the first week of college that you thought you never would, or that you miss more than you thought you would.

1. High school

All of my friends and I agreed that we were ready to get out of high school and move on with our lives. None of us ever thought that we would miss the smelly hallways, small lockers, and lack of air conditioning. But looking back, we realized we miss the people, teachers, and various school events, and wouldn't mind going back to visit.

2. Your parents

This one is pretty obvious and expected; however, you will miss your parents the first week than you've ever missed anyone your entire life. Even though you were looking forward to moving out and doing life on your own, you will eventually find yourself wanting to call them just because.

3. Your siblings

Again, pretty expected, but you probably didn't expect to miss them the first week (unless you were extremely close to them). Though you occasionally fought with them over silly issues, you will come to see that your sibling was your best friend and that you miss sharing a room with them or picking them up after soccer practice.

4. Your hometown

If you were like me, you couldn't wait to leave your boring hometown. But as the first week of college progressed, I came to the realization that I actually miss the town where I grew up. It was something I was familiar with, and where a majority of my memories were created.

5. Being bored

College is a very busy time, especially the first week. You have Opening Weekend activities throughout the week, and after that has concluded, you have class. You're assigned homework or papers the first day, and you find yourself swamped. Out of nowhere, you regret taking your bored moments for granted and would do anything to have a moment where you have nothing to do.

6. Your old job

Even if you absolutely hated your past job, chances are you miss your coworkers at the least. For me, I miss not only my coworkers but the job itself, which is something I never expected to miss. If you catch yourself missing your old job, you most likely can't wait to visit them or return during your breaks.

7. Your pet

Everyone is bound to miss their pet. If you see a dog on the street, then you will instantly begin to think of your furry friend at home, who is probably wondering where you went. If you see a bird flying around and you had a pet bird, then your mind will wander to your pet bird. It's a habit, and it probably won't ever go away.

8. Your bed.

And your room, your house, your kitchen, your backyard...basically your whole house.

9. Summertime

As summer comes to an end, you'll start to reminisce on all the fun times you had. You'll begin to miss your free time, nap time, and your friends terribly. It's a painful process, but at least you have several breaks and countless summers to hang out and relax.

Don't get me wrong; college is a tough, bittersweet transition and it will be harder than you thought at first. But don't give up, don't stop making friends, and keep pushing through your hardest classes. The first few weeks are going to be difficult at times, but keep your eye on the prize and focus on what's to come. As promised by upperclassmen, you'll create lifelong memories and friends; it's okay and normal to miss how things used to be, but don't let that stop you from truly having the college experience.