9 Things To Do Before I'm 30

9 Things To Do Before I'm 30

A bucket list to accomplish before I reach my 30th birthday!

204
https://unsplash.com/photos/-LOuNvkWpf8
Photo by Fezbot2000 on Unsplash

I have always wanted to travel and experience the world in a very real way, and there are so many different things that I want to try. While I am usually someone who likes to play it safe and stay inside my very closely drawn comfort zone, I have been trying to work on this over the years. I have a short list of things ingrained in my brain (and the notes app on my iPhone) that I absolutely have to do before I die.

Of these five things, I have had the chance to complete one of them–traveling to London, England. Adding to the list, I reflected on all of the things you see depicted in movies or on influencers' social media, as well as things I hadn't really thought about before. Along with the "task" itself, I provided a little background on why I want to do it or be a part of it.

1. Learn to play the guitar. 

This specific task is one I have already attempted and promptly gave up on. I asked for a guitar for Christmas one year, and to my surprise, Santa came through. My parents signed me up for lessons at a music center near my childhood house, and I absolutely fell in love. Unfortunately, my desire to learn and acquire a new talent soon was trumped by my laziness and lack of motivation. I never wanted to practice so I never really got the hang of it. Even though I failed the first time around, I would really love to try again and be able to play at least one song on my acoustic guitar. There's not a specific reason aside from the fact that I think it would be a cool talent to have and a way to relax.

2. Go to Australia and swim in the Great Barrier Reef.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved marine life and the look of the ocean. To see the Great Barrier Reef, live and in person, especially being able to swim around with the fish (as terrifying as that sounds) and see the bright colored coral would really be a dream come true.

3. Attend the New Year's ball drop in New York City.

I have watched the New Year's Rockin' Eve celebration on TV for years and it always looks like such an incredible experience. I have been to NYC and stood in Times Square, which in and of itself is so cool. To be there with all of the celebrities and people who travel from around the world to be there for the ball drop at midnight would truly be something to remember forever.

4. Go to Ireland.

While I got the chance to study abroad in London and visit Switzerland this past summer, I was unable to take a trip to Ireland. If I would have gotten on a plane, I don't think I would have ever wanted to go back. I want to visit some castles in the countryside, kiss the Blarney Stone, and climb Croagh Patrick, amongst other things.

5. Learn to surf.

I am anything but coordinated, but I think the idea of learning to surf sounds so cool. I grew up watching movies like Blue Crush, Soul Surfer, Lilo & Stitch, and many others. As beautiful as the ocean is from the shore, seeing the waves up close and in action would be an unforgettable experience. In addition, being able to say that I know how to surf would be a fun fact to have.

6. Drink Around the World at Epcot.

As I write this, I am not yet 21. In fact, I have 92 days until my birthday. While being able to legally drink isn't that important to me, I've heard such great things about Drinking Around the World at Epcot in Orlando. All while staying on the same property, you can "travel" from place to place, getting a little taste of each culture, both in the atmosphere and in the delicacies offered from each "country."

7. Backpack through Europe.

I'm going, to be honest, and say that I am not exactly sure what I mean by this. You always hear about people who go on a life-changing journey as they backpack through places in Europe, but I don't even know what that would entail for me. I would like to visit all of the major places in Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Greece, and many more countries. Getting the chance to live in a minimalistic way, traveling with little more than a few changes of clothes and my passport.

8. Go skydiving.

Now if you know me, you are looking at me with crazy eyes and disbelief. I absolutely HATE heights. I can barely stand on a balcony that is 15 feet up off the ground without my stomach being in knots. While this is true, I still want to go skydiving. My roommate went when she studied abroad in Australia, and the video made it look like so much fun! Jumping out of a plane doesn't exactly sound like the best idea, but I also think I would really enjoy it. Of course, it would probably be the one and only time, and that would be enough for me.

9. Learn photography.

What use is all of this traveling and adventure if I don't have the ability to capture the little moments? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and my memory is not the best. I've always thought photography sounded fun and cool, and would give me the chance to take professional-style photos whenever needed. My goal is for my future house to be absolutely covered in photos from my adventures, and I would be so proud to tell people that I was the one who took them.