9 Thing I Didn't Know I Needed My Dad For Until College

Dad by day, Meme Queen by night.

26

Growing up, I've always been kind of a Daddy's Girl, but since I've gotten to college, my dad and I have gotten so much closer. I didn't know how much I needed him until we were in two different towns. Now my dad is the person I can count on if I need anything by:

1. Making sure I always have groceries.

Before college, I took always having food in the house for granted. Now since I have to buy my own groceries, I'm lucky if I keep a few frozen pizzas and spaghetti noodles in the kitchen. If it weren't for my dad calling me every once in a while just to check that I have what I need, I'd pretty much be living like a bachelor.

2. Giving me rides when I don't feel like driving.

One time, I had to come home, but I didn't feel like driving. I asked my dad if he'd pick me up, as a joke, and he was there in an hour and a half. He drove an hour to get to my apartment and get and an hour back to my house just so I didn't have to. If you ask me, that's pretty great.

3. Bonding over college football.

All of my life, my dad hoped I would find a love for football. I never thought that day would come, not until my first football game as a college student. Since then, I can rank college football up there with pizza and pups. Even though it's not the team he hoped (sorry Dad, but go tigers!), going back and forth about our favorite sport has become one of my favorite past times.

4. Being my walking, talking car manual.

My car has a lot of problems because it's really old. As soon as I hear a funny sound or notice something about my car is off, I ask my dad for help. Usually it's due to a lack of common sense, but my dad helps me get to the bottom of the problem, regardless.

5. Keeping me updated on the popular memes.

I can always count on my dad to make sure to keep me in the loop when it comes to new memes. Our relationship consists of sending new memes back and forth and debating which ones are the best. I probably wouldn't be so up to date on the internet trends if it wasn't for my dad constantly sending me links to articles about celebrity gossip and new internet sensations.

6. Talking on the phone with me whenever I need.

I call my dad almost every day. From being bored on the way home from class to trying to avoid people on Library Bridge, I know my dad will be on the other end of the phone whenever I call. Most of the time, we end up talking for an hour without even realizing it. He's become one of my best friends.

7. Reminding me what real food tastes like.

Every time I start to believe myself when I say, "Mac and cheese IS a real meal," my dad swoops in and reminds what actual meat and vegetables taste like. Once my dad even said, "I don't know if it's college or what, but I think you forgot what real food is. Now you only ask for fast food when I'd get you whatever you wanted."

8. Keeping me laughing.

Aside from all the memes, my dad is full of dad jokes and bad puns. We have such a close relationship because we really get each other's senses of humor. I am not ashamed to say that because of my dad, I frequently tell bad jokes and point finger guns more than I should. I can always count on my dad to give me a high five after all (okay, most of) my jokes.

9. Always being on my side.

I don't know if it's because of my perfect puppy dog eyes or that fact that I'm the only girl, but my dad has a soft spot for me. When Mom gets mad at me, Dad can almost always find a way to diffuse the situation. More times than I'd like to admit, I've gotten out of trouble, thanks to my dad.

Dad, thank you for all that you've done and continue to do for me. I'm sorry I didn't appreciate your extensive library of memes, until now. I'm thankful for the relationship we have and that is has evolved so much in the last few years. I love you.

P.S. I know I'm really the favorite.