9 Struggles Of Being Home From College For The Summer

How was the first year? Did you pass all your finals? Are you glad to be home for the summer?

10
Kelly Ryan, New York Times

Now that finals are over, we've packed up our dorms, unpacked at home and settled in for the summer, life is just not the same. We've become so used to college living and may have forgotten what it's like to be in a house with our families instead of in a 12 by 19 foot space with our roommates.

Readjusting to being home from college during the summer can be a struggle. Here a few things we're going to grapple with for the next three months.

1. We're no longer fully in charge of ourselves.

One of the beauties of being at college is having complete and utter freedom. No "checking in!" texts, no reporting to your parents where you are every two hours and no curfews. It's a luxury to be independent, but that all changes when we're home from college. Being home by 12:30 a.m. becomes a reality again, and "I'm spending the night at Jeremy's tonight" turns into "Can I?"

2. Our friends don't live in the same hall anymore.

We're so used to skipping down the hall past a few rooms to ask our friends what our plan is for that night or when we're grabbing dinner. Now that we're home, we have to drive to our friends' houses, text them to make plans and it's not nearly as convenient and easy.

3. We won't have anyone to talk to until 2 a.m.

We became so used to living in a room with someone else, chatting across the room whenever we had something to say. Sleeping in a room alone is weird. We might start saying something out loud while laying in bed and then realize nobody is there to answer.

4. Your chores haven't gone anywhere.

We thought we escaped the drag of loading the dishwasher, mowing the lawn or sweeping the garage floor. Nope. We are thrown right back on the chore list now that we're home. Back to clearing the dinner table and pulling weeds.

5. Your group chat isn't nearly as active as before.

We all have a group chat with all of our college besties. Whether it's sending Bitmojis or funny GIFs, making plans for the night, or sharing a story from class, we all get hundreds of message notifications all day from our group chats. Now that we're home, the group isn't as chatty as it used to be. All our friends are back with their friends from home and aren't as worried about what the rest of us are doing.

6. You have no money to do anything you used to.

After eight months of paying for books, club entrance fees and drinks every weekend, countless Ubers and the occasional (or more than occasional) online shopping sprees, our bank accounts are a little dry. The money we used to have to go out for ice cream or Chipotle, parking at the beach or going to an amusement park doesn't really exist anymore.

7. You're going to miss your college friends... a lot.

It's great to catch up with our friends from home but we've become so close to our friends at college that not seeing them for three or four months is tough. We're used to being with them pretty much 24/7 and not having them around is weird.

8. You probably won't be going to any parties.

Unless we consider drinking Rubinoff in some high schooler's basement a party, then we probably won't be going to any parties. College parties are very different from high school parties. There aren't many bars and clubs to go to in our small towns either.

9. You're going to be asked a million questions.

How was the first year? Did you pass all your finals? Did you meet any boys? How are your grades? Are you glad to be home for the summer? Who are you living with next year? The list goes on.

There will certainly be a fair share of fun times and memories while being home from college for the summer, absolutely. It's good to take a break, but our lives are at college now.

Before we know it, we'll be back to cafeteria food and living in a dorm. Just the way we like it.