9 Things To Do If You're Staying Home Over Spring Break

Just because we're not on an island doesn't mean we can't make the most of our time off.

63
WallHD4

If you’re like me, your spring break plans don’t consist of traveling to an exotic location and lounging on a warm beach with a virgin piña colada in hand. You’re stuck at home without classes and homework to occupy your time. With so much free time, it’s all too easy to fall victim to boredom and get a bit stir crazy. Here’s a list of fun and productive activities to do during your spring break to help ward off any mind-numbing boredom.

1. Read for leisure

Do you have a stack of books you’ve been meaning to read for the past two years but just haven’t gotten around to them? Pick up one of those novels and get started! Even if you don’t get through the entire stack, it will still feel nice to make a dent in it.

2. Have a movie marathon

If reading isn’t your style, there’s always movies available to fill the time and keep you entertained. Invite some friends over or burrow into some blankets by yourself and get those films rolling all day. Some famous marathon picks are the Star Wars saga, The Lord of the Rings trilogy (do the extended editions for the die-hard fans), or all of the Harry Potter films.

3. Have a spa day

Treat yourself to your very own personal spa day. Slip on your fluffy bathrobe, paint your nails, put some cucumber slices over your eyes and relax. A lot of department stores offer face masks for a decent price. Check out this pack of six different face masks offered at Target.

4. Get active

Grab those running shoes and hit the gym. Take the time to get started on a workout routine or try a new one. A lot of gyms offer free or discounted trials for memberships or classes. Additionally, it would be smart to take advantage of these deals to improve your well-being. Whether it be yoga, Zumba, or jumping on trampolines, you’ll feel good getting some physical activity in.

5. Organize yourself for the rest of the semester

Use this break from school to prepare for the remainder of the semester. Getting ahead (or caught up) on schoolwork will allow you to enter the second half of the semester with less stress and more free time. You could write down upcoming exams and projects in your planner, or even purchase a planner to start using. The more organized you are going back to classes, the less likely it is that stress will follow you.

6. Spend time with your family

With the hectic chaos that ensues because of classes, homework, clubs, jobs, and friends, you may find yourself going long periods of time without seeing (or maybe even speaking) to your family members. It’d be nice for both you and your family to see one another, whether it’s your blood family or chosen family. Show the people you love how much you care through your presence since you may be more absent when school is in session. Your family will appreciate it and you’ll be glad you spent time with them.

7. Catch up with old friends

Now is a good time to meet up with those friends you haven’t seen in ages because you both are so busy living your own lives. If they live a little ways away at a different college, you could make a weekend trip by visiting them. Regardless, you should use this break to meet up with them and get caught up on all the juicy details of each other’s lives.

8. Pick up more work shifts

If you’re working a part-time job, spring break would be a good time to take on extra shifts. Your boss will view this as good behavior on your part meaning that they could potentially make a positive reference in the future or even be more willing to give you days off. Additionally, you’ll be making more money than a normal school week, and every college student could use some more cash in their pockets.

9. Do some spring cleaning

It’s time to put away those clothes that have been sitting on the floor, dust every surface, and open a window to let your room breathe. Even if it's not quite spring yet, you might as well use this opportunity to get it done before classes start and your time for cleaning is once again limited. Having a clean environment creates a better study environment so you’ll be helping yourself out.

Even if we aren’t going to a tropical resort or road tripping with friends during this spring break, we can still have an awesome time. Whether we choose to use the time to relax, be productive, or split between the two, we can make the most of our break before diving back into the second half of the semester.