9 Signs That You Might Be An Old Soul

9 Signs That You Might Be An Old Soul

I think change is great, and advancements are awesome, but sometimes I just like the old fashioned way of doing things.
46

If you're anything like me, you don't necessarily fit in in today's society. You might just be a little old-fashioned, outdated, or old school... however you would like to put it. You still like the original way of doing things, you may not be fond of new technology, and you might not agree with some of the new trends. There's nothing wrong with us, no matter how much we might get picked on, we just might have been born in the wrong generation. Here are some signs you just might be an old soul.

1. If you like to read, you prefer an old fashioned book over an e-book any day.

My parents bought me a Nook a couple of years ago because my book collection was becoming large enough to require a library, and I just can't bring myself to use it. There really is nothing like an actual book. The smell of the pages, the worn look it gets, the tangible sight of your progress as you reach closer to the end. It's great.

2. Coffee. The old-fashioned way.

I do like Starbucks and Dunkin', but nothing beats a classic cup of Folger's with a little sugar and cream. Something that has such a strong smell it fills your whole kitchen as it brews. Although, I have to admit, I have adapted to a Keurig... it's just easier... and they make Folger's K-Cups.

3. Forgive me, millennials, but I can't stand pop music.

Kesha. Iggy. New Miley. Lil Yachty. I cringe at the sound of these and others. This new age of pop, rap, hip hop, and even the new country.. it all bores me. You can find me listening to Guns N Roses, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix, Cash, Diffie, Haggard, and others. About as modern as it gets for me is Sublime and RHCP. I just can't bring myself to listen to most of these new songs with meaningless lyrics and the same beat.

4. Classic movies. Enough Said.

You can probably tell by the picture that my favorite movie genre is horror. Movies is another area that I feel as if they just used to do it better. If you're like me, you can hardly stand to sit through horror movies nowadays. I mean, can we chill with the gore? That's not even scary, it just makes me want to lose my lunch. What happened to the Michael Myers "Halloween" movies that chill you to your core without even a fraction of the gore as today's movies? And that goes for all genres... "Castaway," "Twister," "Forrest Gump," old Adam Sandler comedies... they were just better back in the day.

5. Is your style a little outdated?

I don't know about you, but I just can't force myself to wear some of today's trends. Crop tops and high waisted shorts are one I can't find cute. Guys wearing Chacos... weird. Crocs... oh my. Incredibly oversized T-shirts... no. I still really like jeans without a million holes in them. I admire '70s bell bottoms, '80s leather jackets, and old west serape prints. My eyeliner may be too think, and my hair a little too poofy, but this modern style just doesn't fit me.

6. Views on relationships

Is it just me, or are relationships a little less meaningful nowadays? I mean do y'all still believe in dates, holding hands, the guy opening the door every now and then, being in love? Or is that stuff just out the window? Call me old-fashioned, but I like how it used to be. This whole talking thing, having side chicks, playing games, is just not how it should be in my opinion.

7. Food. Before people freaked out about health.

OK, I understand being healthy, and that's great. But why is everyone so weight-conscious now? I see more people — girls, in particular — eating what I refer to as rabbit food, to reach some unrealistic skinny that is what they are supposedly supposed to look like. What happened to milkshakes, burgers, fries, good southern cookin', fried chicken??? I mean, in moderation, of course, but can we stop obsessing over what everyone looks like or needs to look like and just worry about being happy with ourselves?

8. Social Media

Now, I'm not completely old-fashioned when it comes to this, but I wouldn't say I need it quite as much as many people my age. If you're like me, you probably have the basics; Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, to name a few. However, you probably don't understand the spam accounts, people's obsession with likes, or constantly being on your phone checking these apps. I do love Pinterest for DIY ideas, I like sharing my photos from trips with friends, and I like the funny memes and cool pics on Facebook and Tumblr. I also admit to religiously using Twitter because I live in the south and during storm season, I stalk James Spann (THE weather guy down here). But if all these apps were deleted tomorrow, I don't think I would be too incredibly bothered. Let's all put the phones down for a sec and enjoy our surroundings for once.

9. Outdoors > Indoors

I don't necessarily know if this is considered being an old soul, but I remember this was a big deal when I was a little kid and today's kids seem different. I literally never stayed inside as a kid. I was "exploring," riding bikes, playing kickball, and just playing outside. Now, it seems as if it is so much more cool to stay inside and watch Netflix all day or play video games. What is with that? Please tell me I'm not the only one who still enjoys hiking, swimming, going for walks in the woods, etc.

These are just naming a few, but I know there are some more oldies like me out there.