Nine Life Lessons My Dad Taught Me

Nine Life Lessons My Dad Taught Me

Dads are full of wisdom. They pick you up, dust you off and tell you to keep going.

5
Nine Life Lessons My Dad Taught Me

Dads are full of wisdom. They pick you up, dust you off and tell you to keep going. All my life, my dad has been the one I go to when I can’t seem to figure a problem out or just need some guidance. He is one of the smartest, most level-headed and truly genuine people I have ever met (and I’m not just saying that because I’m his daughter).

These nine life lessons are ones he has imparted to me that I think about every day:

1. Never quit and honor your word.
Follow through with anything you start. This practice instills a good work ethic and a sense of integrity. It teaches you to honor your word, even when things get tough.

2. Believe in yourself.

You are stronger than you think you are, and confidence goes a long way. You are who you are, and it is something you should never change or sacrifice.

3. Budget your money.
Just because you have money in your pocket doesn’t mean you should blow it. There are so many ways to turn $1 into $20; it’s all about creativity and innovation.

4. Own up to your mistakes, and never be afraid to apologize.
When you’re wrong, it’s OK to admit it. It is one of the hardest ones to practice, but in the end, it is the most important.

5. Remember your sense of humor.

It’s OK to laugh at yourself or a situation. Life is too short to always be serious, and laughter is the easiest way to lead a happier life.

6. Listen, listen, and listen.
Don’t pass judgment. You don’t know other people’s lives or where they're coming from. Listening is far more rewarding than speaking. You learn more about the world, other people and life when you make the simple choice to listen.

7. Choose your friends wisely.

Nothing is more important than surrounding yourself with good people who push you to be a better person.

8. Hard work pays off.
Work hard and continue to grow. It’s that simple.

9. When no one seems to be on your side, your dad is always standing right behind you.

He has always been my biggest fan, cheerleader and supporter. I wouldn’t want anyone else in my corner.

These nine life lessons are the biggest and most important pieces of advice that my dad has instilled in me, and ones I will carry with me for the rest of my life.