9 Lessons I Learned As A Summer Camp Counselor

It is the most rewarding and exhausting summer job in the world.

100
YMCA Edwardsville Facebook Page

This summer, I got the opportunity to work as Summer Camp Counselor at a The YMCA in my hometown. I interviewed for the job thinking it would be easy money, but it was so much more than that. It was 12 weeks of frustration, pain, and of course fun. This summer, I learned a lot about myself and all about the kids. Here are 9 things that any summer camp counselor can say they felt this summer.

1. Kids really don't listen

When I got the email, saying I was a camp counselor, I was thrilled. I was excited to be working with kids again. However, my excitement was much less when I found out I would be working kindergarteners. I told myself it won't be so bad. They are young, cute, and will be fun to be around. Well, some of that is true.

They are only really cute when they listen to you and that is only 10 percent of the time. After repeating myself 10 times about keeping hands to yourself and being quiet in the hallway and locker rooms, you find yourself frustrated. This goes for all kids of all ages. I just really hope they learn and get better the older they get.

2. They have a lot of energy and you will definitely be exhausted

This may also just apply to young kids but if you watch one run around for an hour on the playground, it makes me tired just looking at them. I had to remember what I was like when I was a younger kid myself. No wonder my parents were exhausted. But besides just watching them, they want to play with you and be your best friend. Unfortunately, there is one of me and many other kids who also want to be my best friend. Keeping eyes on them and chasing them around is tiring.

3. I would do anything to protect my campers

We have two main goals as summer camp counselors of the YMCA that is to have fun and keep the kids safe. That may not seem like a lot of work but when you get to know the kids you see all summer, you never want any of them to get hurt. Unfortunately, no one is perfect and accidents happen. Cuts, bruises, nose bleeds, headaches, blisters, sunburns. You name it, I have probably seen it. I never want to see one of my kids get hurt. I do everything in my power to make sure they are safe.

4. Kids go through stuff too

Just like teenagers and adults, kids go through some hard times too. Lots of people think, "They are just kids. What could they really be dealing with?". I have seen someone as young as five years old go through stuff that I could not even imagine going through. Some kids you would never imagine there being anything wrong with them. But that's what summer camp is about: To help those kids have a great day so they don't have to think about all the not-so-fun stuff going on at home.

5. Learning all the coolest lingo

Dabbing, the whip and nae nae, juju on that beat, fidget spinners, all the Moana songs; I learned all about it because of my campers. We would be roller skating in the YMCA and they would come up to me and dab, dancing to the whip and nae nae, and sing along to all the Moana songs.

6. Your co-workers will become some of your closest friends

Your co-workers are the only ones who know about all the crazy situations you put up with. They compare stories about kids and have most likely seen you on your worst days. They help you keep your sanity because, without them, you would be going crazy.

7. Creativity is abundant

Kids have wild imaginations. They will take anything and turn into whatever they want too. Seeing this innocence and imagination at its finest makes me wish I was that young again. Where the only big care in the world was who was who was ace during four-square or having that one piece to complete that Lego creation. It brought me back to my innocence that I miss so dearly.

8. Be the best person you can be

At the end of the day, these campers look up to you. The best thing you could do for them is to show them how responsible, kind, and fun you can be so that way they follow suit.

9. Take your job seriously, but not too seriously

With keeping the kids safe and making sure the kids are getting along, you may find yourself getting really irritated. Frustration may get the best of us but our job is to ultimately have fun with the kids.

During one the last few weeks of camp, a child's mother was here to pick up one of my campers. She introduced herself to me and said her child has loved playing with me during the day and talks about me all the time. After walking away from this compliment, I realized that's what makes this job worth it. Kids going home and telling their loved ones all about their days. Saying that I was able to make it special makes my job worth it. The job may be frustrating and exhausting but at the end of the day, summer camp counseling is worth it all.