9 Helpful Tips For The Novice Traveler

9 Helpful Tips For The Novice Traveler

Tips and tricks for the budget-friendly traveler.

66
9 Helpful Tips For The Novice Traveler
Cruz Mancia photos

Traveling is amazing. There are so many places to see, cultures to learn about, new faces on the daily, and personally, every new place I visit is like a breath of fresh air. Sometimes we struggle to travel due to the fact that we're not sure how to begin budgeting for our travel expenses. Here are a few things I learned as a novice traveler while I began to plan and budget for my first big trip.

1. Plan ahead

Planning can be a pain, but it is much better to plan ahead when traveling. This way, as time gets closer, all you will have to figure out is a few loose ends. You don't want to wait until the last minute to book a flight, book lodging, and any other things that may not be available as your time shortens.

2. Skyscanner is your best friend

If you didn't know, now you know. Skyscanner is a great tool to use when searching for flights. They locate the cheapest flight for you and also give you a rundown of the cheap places you can travel too. Skyscanner is my go-to when researching flights.

3. Go off the beaten path

Sometimes it is hard to go off the beaten path, but in general, these are cheaper options. Try traveling somewhere where tourists do not roam. Not only will you have the opportunity to roam land that has not been touched by tourists, but you will also be dealing with fewer crowds of tourists when traveling to non-hotspot destinations. It may be hard at first and a bit scary, but you will be glad you went off and tried something new.

4. Ditch the suitcases

If at all possible, pack light. This way you won't have to be paying for the extra suitcase, which later on leads to extra fees.Take a backpack, bring a few pair of jeans and multiple shirts to mix and match your outfits. The fewer things you take on a plane the less you have to pay. Plus, the less you have to haul around while you are traveling.

5. Hotel alternatives

Hotels can be very spendy when it comes to travel, and prices rise when it's the holiday season or the peak time of the year for traveling. Look into alternatives such as hostel world.com or Airbnb. You will find options from bunkbed housing to a cute house. Researching both options is important because they always have good deals you just have to check up on them consistently.

6. Eat like a local

Be careful when traveling and going out to dine. Food is one thing that prices most definitely go up on especially in touristic areas. Look for a market to go buy ingredients, make your own meal and you will save so much money. If this is not possible try going to more local diners and avoid the restaurants that sit right next to luxury hotels or tourist hotspots.

7. Free stuff

Do not assume that you have to pay for everything to get the whole experience while you travel. There are many options such as going to the park, beaches, natural sightseeing, hikes, and so on. Google it! Look up free things to do in the said area. You may actually be more interested in taking part in the free activity than the one you would have to pay for.

8. Avoid the fees

Avoid using your plastic as much as possible. Credit cards charge a fee and if you go overseas well might as well declare bankruptcy because they charge an international fee and that can get really spendy really quickly. Make sure to check with your bank and figure out what the fee will be if using your cards while traveling. If you feel comfortable carrying cash around also check in with your bank about money exchange.

9. Free Wifi

Many places are modernized now for the traveling millennial. Which means that free wifi is everywhere. If you are wanting to connect with your friends and family consider using the free wifi. This way, international fees will be avoided through your phone and you won't have a big bill waiting back at home.

Budgeting and planning can be tedious, but in the end, it is worth it, and once it is all said and done you can enjoy your time at your hotspot destination and not worry about anything.