9 College Life Lessons That High School Could Never Teach Me

Now that I think about it, high school really didn't teach me anything.

59
MD Duran

College is wonderful, scary, hard, painful, exciting, and quite time-consuming. You probably just read a lot of scary words if you have yet to start college, and if you have, then you know all those adjectives very well. Before I started college I was pretty excited. All my hard work had finally paid off. Now that I'm actually in college, I've learned all that high school stuff was just child's play.

Because I walked in not knowing a lot, I was kind of overwhelmed and struggling my first semester. Now that it is officially summer and I can confidently say I survived my first year, I put together a list of things I knew before I started college.

1. Get involved.

You don't want to be the student who stays in his/her dorm room all day. College campuses offer a variety of clubs, sports, and daily activities. Take advantage of the amenities, you're kind of already paying for them so you might as well use them.

2. Everyone can be in a sorority or fraternity.

Yes, there are many stereotypes around sororities and fraternities, but no, not all of them are true. Many people enjoy the close-knit community and family feel they get from joining. Of course, there are parties and if you're into that you'll love it, but there are also many community service opportunities offered.

4. Yes "C's get degrees," but your GPA does matter.

Those grades will be on your transcript and some employers do ask to see those. It is OK to get C's, but at least try not to make it a habit.

5. Find yourself.

Going to college offers many opportunities to grow as a person and find yourself. I know high school can sometimes be focused on some not-so-important factors and it may be hard to fit into a "click." Good news is, college doesn't really have "clicks." Usually, people do their own thing with people who seem to share similar interests. I promise, there is a place for you, you've just got to find it.

6. You'll probably get homesick.

It's kind of part of the experience.

7. It gets better.

You're super stressed and overwhelmed because you've got 2 papers due at midnight, an exam at 7 a.m., and work after class, but I promise you are capable and you can do it. It will get better.

8. Don't feel forced to finish "on-time."

College has no time limit. Go at your pace. Find your passion. I can confidently say that it won't be the end of the world if you finish a semester or two behind your friends. It doesn't really matter in the real world.

9. Do not measure your success in comparison to other people.

Your success can only be measured by you. If all you wanted in life was to graduate college, then when you graduate you are successful in your eyes. But maybe to someone who has always dreamt of becoming a parent, they are only successful when they become a parent. Both successful, just different measurements of success.