8 Ways You're Putting Yourself At Risk Of Losing Your Job Without Knowing It

Don't risk losing your job because of these simple mistakes.

144

If you've ever had a job, then you can probably recount a few instances where you got that small feeling in your gut whenever you did something that you knew might have just put you at risk of losing it. However, if you're someone who's completely new to business, then you'll quickly learn that even the simplest of actions can put you at risk of losing your job without you even being aware of it. Since I genuinely don't want that to ever happen to you, I decided to put together the following list of 8 ways that you're putting yourself at risk of losing your job without knowing it.

1. Talking bad about your managers or co-workers behind their backs.

Unfortunately, every employee does this to some extent. If you had a bad experience with a manager or a co-worker and need someone to rant to, please try your best NOT to rant to anyone who knows the people you're talking about. Instead, share how you're feeling with a close family member or friend who doesn't know the people you work with.

Regardless of what happened between you and your managers/coworkers, you need to remember that all of you are supposed to be working together as a team to keep the business thriving and comfortable for your guests. If you talk bad about your managers or coworkers to someone who knows them, who's to say that that same person you're ranting to won't tell the other person what you said about them behind their back?

2. Asking your manager when and if you can go on break.

The extent to which this is acceptable really depends on how many hours you've been working (or are going to work throughout your entire shift). It's certainly acceptable to ask your manager if you can go on break when you've been working for almost 5 hours straight. It becomes an issue, however, when you keep pestering them with the same question after they've already told you that they need you to work a little longer.

Unfortunately, when you keep asking your manager whether or not you can go on break, you're also indicating that you don't really have the desire to commit to the job that they personally gave you.

3. Asking your manager when you can leave for the day.

Again, this just shows that you'd much rather be somewhere else than at work. While that may very well be the case for you (and everyone else), you definitely don't want your manager to think that you aren't fully committed to the job you sought from them initially.

4. Just being an average employee during your shift.

Always exceed expectations! If there's one lesson I've learned while working, it's that you can always improve your efforts as an employee. Think of small ways you can make others smile or lend a helping hand, in other words.

5. Failing to grasp little tasks on your own.

It's okay to ask questions whenever you're confused about something, but you certainly don't want your managers to think that you're not up to par with everyone else. After a few shifts, take the initiative to actually accomplish the tasks you once struggled with on your own. This will show your managers that you are capable of being independent and learning for yourself.

6. Calling out for your shift out of nowhere.

Do this more than once when it isn't for an emergency, and you can certainly expect to be immediately terminated from employment. This is honestly one of the biggest ways you can letdown your entire team, especially your managers. If you know you're going to need a day or two off in the coming weeks, then you need to be responsible and considerate enough to inform your managers of the days you need off ahead of time (at least 2 weeks in advance).

7. Being late.

Seems so simple, doesn't it? So what if you're late once or twice. It's no big deal, right? Well, actually, it is. Especially if you are guilty of being late on multiple occasions.

Remember, there's a reason you were scheduled for certain shifts: that's the availability you indicated you had when you were first interviewed. If your availability has changed since then, then I strongly suggest that you let your managers know ASAP.

If you're in the middle of an emergency (e.g. traffic, family issues, sickness, etc.), then just call and let them know as soon as you can (hopefully a few hours before you're actually expected to work).

8. Letting your negative emotions take control of you.

There will be moments where it will seem much easier to respond negatively to situations rather than choose to take them with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, it's those negative emotions that may eventually cause you to lose your job. Despite how difficult it may seem, you just need to remember that more good experiences will come if you choose to react positively to situations rather than to react negatively to them.

If you're like me, then I'm sure you worked very hard to obtain the job(s) you have now. Remember, through both the good times and the bad, you're earning so much more than just a few dollars an hour: you're growing as a person! Don't let any of these small issues affect your ability to keep doing something that's constantly changing you for the better. You can do this! Just keep learning, and keep improving!