8 Ways To Improve Your Creative Writing

8 Ways To Improve Your Creative Writing

I've compiled some tips and tricks for improving your writing skills!

343
8 Ways To Improve Your Creative Writing
Elite Track

As a writer, I know how tough it can be to get into good habits and force yourself to write each day. It can be frustrating to feel as if you are not growing as a writer. It's easy to feel stuck in place. In order to keep moving forward in my goals and skills, I try to do the following in order to avoid that feeling of being frozen in place.

1. Always carry a pen and notebook.

You never know when an awesome idea is going to come along. Be sure you have the tools to write down any thoughts or points that pop into your head. Often times, the best ideas you will have come randomly and in odd places. One must always be able to capture them before they forget!

2. Look up and use writing prompts.

Obviously, writing as much as possible will only serve to improve your technique, but it can be difficult to come up with topics. Writing prompts come in handy at these times. You can search for them on Pinterest, Instagram, or Google. These prompts offer a challenge and an opportunity to explore topics you have never considered.

3. Attend seminars and workshops.

Hearing and learning from someone with experience in the field can be a game changer. Publishers, editors, and authors each offer unique perspectives in the area of writing, and are able to make useful suggestions that will set you apart from the amateurs. Meeting people who are successful in the field also can grant a burst of motivation to hopeful writers.

4. Get some story cubes and "roll" with it.

These nifty little dice sets are another great way to come up with writing challenges. Give them a roll, and stick to the pictures you end up with. Finding a way to connect the various items is a great method of expanding your imagination and growing as a writer. They're also a lot of fun to play as a game with friends and family. You can find story cubes in bookstores or in the app store!

5. Write every single day.

Obviously this one is stressed a lot in writing suggestions. As it is in everything else, practice is the key to honing one's skill in writing. The only way to improve and learn to captivate an audience is to keep trying new tactics until you find one that suits you. Find the best time for your mind to work its magic and just keep writing.

6. If you're comfortable with it, allow others to read and give thoughts on your writing.

Although your writing decisions are ultimately your own, sometimes helpful critiques can offer a new take on things. Sometimes an outside opinion can help a writer recognize how to draw in readers and keep them intrigued. Use trusted friends and family that enjoy reading to give you some tips.

7. Write about things that interest you! It makes a difference.

A reader can often tell whether or not the author enjoyed writing the reading material. Writing about something you like encourages passion and full effort behind the words. The knowledge of what you're writing about also allows for a great description and accuracy. To keep one's love of writing alive, one must love the act of writing, as well as what they write about.

8.READ A LOT.

The best way to find your favorite style of writing and genre is to read a variety of stories. Would you rather write fantasy, young adult, or children's fiction novels? What kinds of narrative styles do you feel drawn to? These questions can only be answered with experience, trial and error, and reading many different types of literature. Readers make the best writers!

What are some of your favorite tricks for keeping up on writing? Be sure to comment them below!