9 Things You Know To Be True As An Out-Of-State Student

3. "Do you know [insert person's name here]?"
156

1. The classic "Where Are You From" question.

"Hey I'm [insert name]"

"Hi I'm [insert name here]"

"Where are you from?"

"[Insert answer and explanation of geography here]"

2. Or similarly to have your own answer followed by: "Where's that?"

It's southwest of [insert city here] and just outside of [here].

Usually, it's someone from your town and you have no clue who they are. Coming from a larger suburb, it quite literally is no small town. Weirdly enough, sometimes you run into a friend of a friend and it's almost mind-blowing about how you've found a single person that knows someone else you're friends with, especially in a school of 50 thousand people.

4. "What made you choose [insert university name]?"

I've gotten this question probably more times than I can count, but after a certain amount of time, you expect it as a general small-talk type of question.

5. Getting confused when people talk about places you've never heard of.

It happens for people in state and out of state too.

6. Having people assume that you're in-state.

It's really not like it's intentional, but it still happens because you go into this new environment with so many new people, and you never really know where people are from in the first place.

7. "You have an accent" "No, I don't."

I mean depending on where you're from, you've probably heard this a decent amount. Coming from the Midwest, I've still had someone say this to me because I've unintentionally slipped in a more nasal-y "Chicago" when talking about it.

8. Trying to figure out the things that make your new state unique.

The "Michigan Left" is something that quite literally turns me around.

9. Home state pride.

Being out of state, you're so used to seeing the sports teams that represent the state that you go to school in, but it's this little space of pride when you see people wearing a jersey or shirt representing a team from your home state.