8 Tips For College Freshmen From A Senior

I've lived through everything you could possibly be going through in your freshman year, so trust me!

22

It can be kinda intimidating, or even scary to start college, especially if you were like me, who chose to go somewhere far from home, and where I didn't know anybody! So here are some tips and tricks from a seasoned senior that will make your freshman year and the rest of your college years so much better.

Make friends with the people in your classes.

This is the number 1 way to make friends in college that will last a lifetime! It's easiest to make friends in a class that is in your major/minor class programs, so like your gen-ed classes! This is how I met my best friends in school, and the rest is history!

Go to involvement fairs.

Even if you don't think you wanna join any clubs, go! You'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of people there who genuinely want to meet you and be your friend! Find a club with people that you vibe with, and you've got a solid group of friends that you get to bond with over your club activities!

Make a habit of going to office hours.

I know it may seem unnecessary or awkward at first, but I would recommend going, even if you don't need help quite yet! Make an appointment or stop by early in the semester with each of your professors, and if you don't need help, use the time to introduce yourself, express any concerns about the class, ask any possible questions, or to just go over the syllabus or course goals! A little goes a long way with your professors!

Consider a minor.

Not too many people do this, but if it fits into your graduation plan, then I'd say go for it! Find something that you're passionate about that is either separate from your major, or that ties into what you're studying. Just make sure it's something you love. Or, it can be something related to your major, that might be a slightly more specific field of study. For example, a Communications major with a Journalism or Media Studies minor! Just be sure to talk to your advisor!

Meet with your advisor.

Speaking of seeing your advisor, make sure you're checking in with them! I would recommend going at the beginning and very end of each semester, and at least one or two more times throughout the semester, just to make sure things are going well, or to ask about future classes, major or minor courses, or mapping out a graduation plan!

Call home.

College life can get pretty hectic, which makes it easy to forget the people you left at home. It's always good to call your family and/or friends back home as often as you can, because chances are, they're missing you just as much as you're missing them.

Take trips.

Especially if your college is in a small town, it's good (and fun!) to take a weekend trip once or twice a semester to reset and relax! So go online and check out bus fares and find your local bus stop, and plan a weekend trip to the nearest city with a couple of your friends! If you don't have anybody to stay with there, you'd be surprised how little an Airbnb or a hostel cost when you've got a small group of people!

Remember to have fun!

College is all about balance. You need to balance your home and school life, as well as classes and fun. It may seem like a lot, but it'll be easy if you remember to relax and let loose sometimes! You only go to college once!