8 Thoughts Every Server Has During One Of 'Those' Shifts

Being a server is harder than you think.

216

I just recently got a job working for Cru Catering, a catering company in Charleston for the summer. I work as an event server and work events that vary from weddings to parties to awards ceremonies.

Before I started working for Cru, I had no experience in the food industry, let alone serving. Now that I have worked several events, I now have so much respect for waiters and waitresses. My experience has been quite a learning one, and I wonder if any of my fellow servers have the same thoughts as me.

1. This plate of appetizers is so heavy

Like I said, I have little experience serving or working in the food industry. I just recently was in charge of passing appetizers at an event. At first, I thought that passing plates could not be that hard, but that was before I held it in my hand for an hour. A small plate of mini tomato pies may look easy to hold, but do not let it fool you, it gets heavier by the second. I am embarrassed to say this, but the next day my arms were so sore!

2. My feet hurt, so bad

I learned that a comfortable and supportive pair of shoes is imperative while serving an event. After being on your feet for eight and nine hours at a time, your feet start to hurt. I can say that I have never been so thankful to lay in bed for hours on end the following days after my event.

3. I literally have bug bites all over my body

The first event I worked for was an outdoor wedding/reception. The venue was absolutely beautiful, but the bug bites on my body following the event were not so beautiful. I will remember to bring bug spray for the next outdoor event.

4. I could eat everything on the menu

After working and not eating for a few hours, any food that is on the menu looks so delicious. The salad, appetizers, entrees, and desserts just seem to call my name as I am bringing plates to people. I do have to say, I get very disappointed to throw away a half-eaten steak on a plate!

5. So many glasses!

Most of the events that I have worked each had an open bar. It is all fun and games until the staff has to clean up every single glass that was used during the event. I have now learned the difference between a double old fashioned, highball, water glass, and a universal wine glass. Who knew there could be so many different glasses just to hold drinks in?

6. This uniform I am wearing looks so stylish…

I have never really been into wearing all black, but as a server, I have to be. My uniform consists of black pants, a black belt, a black button-down, a black apron and black shoes. I am making quite the fashion statement, right?

7. I definitely did not put enough deodorant on for this.

Deodorant is a must when it comes to serving. Whether the event is indoors or outdoors, it's a guarantee that by the end of the night, you will be covered in sweat. Let’s just hope I put enough deodorant on for the guests not to notice my sweat!

8. Can I go home now?

Can I leave with the guests once the event is over? Unfortunately, being a part of a catering company is having to clean up after the guests have left and gone home for the night. The best feeling is when we get the okay to pack up and go home!

Do not get me wrong, I love my job! The events that I work take place all throughout Charleston, and I do get to see some beautiful venues. Every job has difficulties, but that is what makes us appreciate what we (and others) do. I have so much fun working at my job, but at the same time, it is exhausting. I really value the hard work of others in the food industry, because now I get to be a part of the behind the scenes team!