8 Things To Give Or Give Up For Lent This Year

Several things that you can do (or not do) during Lent.

629
Hugues de BUYER-MIMEURE // Unsplash

Lent is a Catholic or Christian observance that celebrates the sacrament of penance and a preparation or strengthening of one’s faith before Easter. It’s a time in which Christians spend 40 days preparing for Easter, which means that they must fast and spend the time strengthening their faith and acknowledging their sins. According to Busted Halo, during the time that Christians were persecuted by Romans, Christians would prepare during Lent to receive Baptism on Easter.

One other thing that Lent requires is " almsgiving," which is giving up something that gives you a small pleasure. If you are a Catholic or Christian like me, it can be hard to figure out what to give up for Lent.

Luckily, you have the option of also giving something for Lent. Giving something for Lent could be, for example, saying that you will spend more time praying. As long as whatever you give for Lent helps you to strengthen your faith. However, it can still be hard to decide what exactly to give or give up for Lent. Here is a list of what you can give or give up for Lent.

1. Give Up Junk Food

Junk food is one of the common food items that many Christians will often give up for Lent. And if you made a New Year’s resolution to eat healthily and exercise in order to get ready for summer, then this is a perfect opportunity to follow Lent while also following your New Year’s resolution! Just make sure that it is something that you enjoy or gives you pleasure in order to follow the meaning of Lent.

2. Give Time For Reading Scripture

If you want to give something, you could always make time for reading the scripture. If have a busy schedule, decide how much time you will set aside for yourself to read the Bible. For example, you could set it to 15 minutes of reading every day after work or school. Reading scripture is also a great way to strengthen your faith and learn more about the teachings of the Catholic or Christian faith.

3. Give Up A Bad Habit

Giving up a bad habit is a great way to follow Lent while also eliminating any annoying habits that you’ve been trying to get rid of for a while. For example, if you’ve spent years trying to stop smoking or stop biting your nails, then Lent is a great time to find a way to get rid of that habit.

Giving up a bad habit is also something that constitutes as giving up something that gives you pleasure, since it is often used to relieve stress. Instead, you can try to find other ways that can help you to relieve stress such as reading, listening to music, or sewing.

4. Give Time For Prayer

Giving time for prayer is one of the most common things that Catholics and Christians will give for Lent. This can include doing the Rosary for a set amount of time. You can determine how long you will spend praying or using the Rosary just like you can for reading scripture.

Whatever the case, just make sure that you have the time or are committed to following the schedule of when you will set away time for prayer. Don’t be like me and say that you are going to pray more every day for Lent, but then find you don’t have time in the middle of the Lenten season.

5. Give Up Social Media

Social media is something that can be very addictive for almost anyone! Therefore, giving up social media for Lent is definitely a challenge. However, if you think you are up for the challenge and this sounds like something you would like to give up, then I say go for it! Just make sure you let everyone know if you communicate with them through social media that you won’t be using it until Lent ends.

6. Give Up Television

If you notice that you often spend too much time watching TV instead of completing homework or studying for tests, then you should try giving up watching TV for Lent. This won’t be an easy task, especially if you love Netflix or hate reading. If you can’t find anything to replace watching TV, then you should reconsider giving it up for Lent.

7. Give Time For Going To Church

Giving time for going to Church more often is a great idea for how you can strengthen your faith during Lent. In addition, Lent requires Catholics and Christians to go to church more often, especially on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday.

And just like with giving time for prayer and scripture, you can set a goal for yourself such as having yourself go to church every Sunday or going to mass twice a week. Whatever works with your schedule, going to Church more often will help you grow closer to God and prepare for Easter.

8. Give Up Soda

If you’re like me and are trying to cut back on soda, then Lent is the perfect time to kick the habit.

It will definitely be a huge challenge, especially if you're a big soda drinker. However, it is possible and it would be something that you could benefit from. It’s something that I will be giving up for Lent since I am constantly getting cavities from drinking soda.

So if you’re Catholic or Christian, instead of worrying about what to give or give up for Lent, you can simply enjoy the meaning of the holy time of Lent. What you give up doesn't matter as much as reflecting and understanding the importance of Lent. Lent is about reflecting on our sins and appreciating the sacrifice that Jesus made for our sins, which is why Lent is one of the most important holy times in the church.