8 Things The Girl Who Doesn't Party Wants You To Know

Sober doesn't mean boring and don't tell me I'm missing out.

1069
vergecampus.com

Who doesn't love a night filled with friends, red solo cups, lots of laughs, and a hangover to top it all off the following morning? What kind of college student doesn't enjoy getting wasted or stoned every weekend? Have you ever met a twenty-something student whose favorite past time doesn't include drinking until they're belligerent? Well I'm that student. There are a lot of different reasons why people don't party. Regardless what the specific reasons might be it's important to be supportive and understanding of your peers' life choices. Here are a few things the girl who doesn't party wants you to know.

1. First of all, I don't care if you party.

I'm not only friends with "sobers". Whether you party or not doesn't decide if I want to be your friend. I respect everyone's life choices even if they're different then my own. I may not like to be involved in the party scene but I have plenty of friends who love a good weekend out . It doesn't mean I don't enjoy every moment we're together.

2. I choose not to party.

Contrary to popular belief it's solely my choice not to party. It's just not my thing. It's not like my parents threaten me if I do or I'm scared to. I just hold a standard within myself that I want to meet. I just have no interest in it now and honestly I don't think I'll have any interest in it in the future.

3. Please don't tell me I'm missing out.

When I choose not participate in something all my friends are taking part in it's already clear I'm missing out. Telling me I'm going to miss out only makes me feel more alone and honestly in my opinion I don't think I'm missing out. I'd rather take my dog on an adventure, go shopping, or binge watch my favorite show than spend my time doing things I won't remember the next day.

4. Or pressure me.

There's nothing worse than people pressuring you into doing things you don't want to do. I have no trouble holding my ground and rarely ever give into peer pressure but It's just annoying. If someone doesn't want to do something that's completely there choice and they shouldn't feel like they have to.

5. It's already easy for me to feel like an outsider.

I mean come on? I'm a twenty something college student who doesn't drink or smoke. That's hard to come across these days. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing those things but it's just very easy to feel different when you don't. It's easy to get down on yourself and feel like a buzzkill and weird just because you choose not to party.

6. I do still like to have fun.

I love doing crazy things with my friends. I love driving in the car on the back roads and blasting the music. I love going on road trips and pulling all nighters. I just choose to do these things sober..

7. Making sober plans with me means a lot.

I'm lucky enough to have an amazing boyfriend who would rather sit at home with me than go to a party. He always chooses me over all party plans. I'm also blessed with friends who don't mind taking a break from their college nights to do crazy, fun things with me sober. Believe me these "sober plans" mean more to me than you'll ever know.

8. It just isn't for me.

I just don't like partying. I'm not into it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having fun in college. I respect everyone's life choices and in return I expect mine to be respected as well. I'm not a buzzkill or boring. I'm just me.