8 Things Nobody Tells You About College

8 Things Nobody Tells You About College

5. Be prepared to Uber... everywhere.

744

Starting your first year if college is exciting, scary, and confusing all at the same time. Besides figuring out what you are going to do with your life, there is so much about the school you need to learn that nobody tells you about. Here are 8 random college to make surviving your freshmen year a little easier.

1. Rent your books. 

PSA: NEVER BUY YOUR BOOKS (if you don't have to). Books are expensive and with five classes each semester, the cost adds up quickly. Always look to see if you can rent your books for a cheaper price, or purchase them from Amazon.

2. Don't buy an unlimited meal plan. 

In college, there is no time to have three sit down meals in the dining hall. An unlimited meal plan is not only expensive, but also a complete waste of money.

3. Get to know your professors. 

Getting to know your professors is super important in college. Not only will they give you extra help outside of class, they also are great resources for networking. Some of the most interesting people work on college campuses, so stop in and say hi during their office hours!

4. Set a budget. 

When you're on your own with limited funds, it's hard to keep track of your money. Setting a budget before you go to school will ensure you aren't putting yourself in debt and buying way too many clothes online.

5. Be prepared to Uber... everywhere. 

If you're a freshmen, chances are you won't be allowed to have a car on campus. Uber will become your best friend and your enemy. Make sure to build in some Uber trips into your budget!

6. The freshmen 15 isn't a myth. 

Eating healthy in college can be really hard. Getting takeout, going out on weekends, and not having enough time to go to the gym creates the perfect storm for the freshmen 15. But don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

7. Get involved. 

Getting involved on campus is a great way to spend your free time, but the one thing nobody talks about is the rejection you might face when applying for clubs. If you go to a competitive school, a lot of people are going to apply for the same clubs that you might be interested in. Although it might get discouraging there is a club for everyone and you will find the right one for you!