8 Things I Miss About Freshman Year

8 Things I Miss About Freshman Year

Crosbae and Freshmeat for days. What do you miss about freshman year?

29
8 Things I Miss About Freshman Year
Sara Doan

Freshman year: it was full of many ups and downs. Fun nights and ones spent in bed binge watching "Grey's Anatomy." Some nights you questioned if you'd ever be able to finish that 10 page paper due in two days. During rough nights, you wished freshman year would be over and were counting down the days until you were home. Well now that it's over you questioned how it went by so fast. Like move-in just felt like yesterday, and now I'm moving out? WTF. Now that I'm starting my sophomore year I questioned how summer went by so fast. So, here are eight things I miss about freshman year.

1. My Roommate:

They're basically the only person that understands you. I mean you did share a tiny shoe box with them for nine months. No more late night runs to McDonald's or midnight dance parties. Miss having ya around, Em. Incoming freshman, be sure to carry a box of tissues with you on move out. I didn't really start crying until I had to say goodbye to my roommate.

2. Being on campus:

Honestly I don't know why anyone would ever wanna live off campus. Yeah dorm rules aren't fun but you get a parking spot; can wake up 20 minutes before class and still make it there on time. You can also walk to your sorority house or to frat row. It's just easier in my mind. Being able to walk back from class to your 'home' (aka dorm room) and jumping in bed is the best feeling ever. You don't have to worry about having to plan out extra time for traffic to get somewhere around campus.

3. The POD:

I'm not lying or joking when I say I know every Cros POD worker and their life story. I would procrastinate on studying and go downstairs to get candy (or a f'real -- those are the key to my heart) and just hangout with them. The saddest thing was seeing it closed the night I moved out and tearing up a little bit because of it and thinking about all the memories in it. Miss y'all, Shay, Victoria and Erica.

4. The girls in my dorm:

I lived in an all girls dorm my freshman year (most Ole Miss dorms are same sex) and it was truly a blessing. One of the saddest things about ending freshman year was the thought that all your best friends weren't down the hall from you or two floors above you. It was like a sleepover with your friends every night and the thought of that ending made cry. Having to drive to different apartments to friends isn't the same.

5. My CA's:

Your school might call them RA's, but at mine they were called "community assistants" or CA's what they were commonly referred to as. I lucked out and got the best and chillest CA's out there. They were always there for me. After every night of rush I would go straight to one of my CA's rooms and talk to her for hours about it all. My other one would never turn down an opportunity to order pizza with me at midnight or let me crash on her couch when a wasp invaded my room at 2:00 a.m. one night. Miss them and everything they let us get away with (aka mainly not having to pay for lockouts).

6. The Adventures:

Nothing more fun than randomly deciding to go on Walmart runs at 1:00 a.m. for ice cream cake, frat laps because you need a break from studying, or driving to Memphis at 2:00 a.m. for Krispy Kreme like some of my friends did one night. Oh and can't forget pulling an all nighter and than driving an hour for Dunkin' Donuts to kick the morning off or spending the last night in the dorms jumping and playing around in the Phi Mu fountain.

7. The First Weeks of School

The first few weeks were some of the best weeks. Professors didn't really give out homework, you were meeting new people everyday, having fun, all the things put on for 'Welcome Back Week,' still on the high of excited to be away from your parents and getting used to the town that would become your home for the next four years. It was a simple time. Everyone was the same. We were all trying to figure out college together.

8. The "oh sorry I'm a freshman" excuse

I said this a lot more than I thought I did. It was awesome because you could use this when you got lost around campus and no one would question it. I remember I was running late to something the first week and after I finally found it I said "Oh sorry I'm a freshman. I'm still figuring my way around." It was for sure a life saver sometimes. Now everyone expects you to know your way around campus (P.S. -- I still don't know where some of the buildings are or the names of them. Oops, sorry I'm a sophomore? We'll see if it works).

Those are a few things I miss about freshman year (and trust me I could go on forever). Incoming freshman, soak up every day and memory because before you know it, you'll be moving out and questioning where the year went. ILY, miss you freshman year. Oh and when the fire alarm goes off at 2:00 a.m. bc someone burnt popcorn that's God telling you it's time for a McDonald's or Papa Johns run, so don't forget your keys ladies. Food runs are better than sitting out on the curb for an hour and waiting for the firemen to let you back in. Can't wait to see what sophomore year brings!