8 Simple Ways To Improve Your Daily Life

How to attain a constant state of mental contentedness.

23
A Certain Slant of Light

Our life reflects our attitude.

It is easy to become negative and cynical towards the world. We are continuously exposed to tragedy and injustice in the media, while also experiencing our own heartaches and distress.

Not only is this negativity preventing you from truly enjoying your own life, it can also greatly effect your environment. An individual’s energy is contagious, and the one thing you can offer your family, community, etc. is your positive attitude.

Because we are creatures of habit, by implementing minor adjustments to our daily life and mindset, we become happier.

1. Keep a gratitude journal.

Often, we let one single event ruin our day, and let it overshadow what little joy we already had in our day. With the awareness of a gratitude journal, knowing that our minds cling to the negative, we can intentionally focus on the good parts of our day to offset this imbalance.

Write down at least 5 things you are grateful for each day, and see how your attitude changes. It is scientifically proven that gratitude can increase your happiness, and protect you from stress, negativity, anxiety and depression

2. Reframe your challenges.

In life, if you are going through something and you feel like you’ve reached wits end, it isn’t the end, and you in fact have much more life to experience.

There are no dead ends, only redirections.

Even though we try desperately to control our spiraling lives, we cant allow uncontrollable occurrences from the outside turn our inner to mush. The only thing we can control is our effort, and given to its entirety, we have no reason for regret.

Embrace challenges as adventures, instead of attempting to resist an experience for growth.

3. Be good at being rejected.

Chalk every broken heart and failed job interview as practice, because no one can bypass rejection. However, don’t let it bitter your spirit, nor expect it to get worse. If you anticipate bad things, chances are it will or you’ll narrow the chances of good things to happen to you.

4. Use positive words to describe your life.

Words have a lot more power than we give them credit. If you describe your life as boring, busy, mundane, chaotic, etc. – you will perceive it that way, and you will feel the effects in your body, and undoubtedly your mind. If you replace these words with simple, involved, familiar, or lively, your whole life will shine in a whole different light

5. Replace 'have' with 'get.'

Have you ever noticed how many times we say that we have to do something?

I have to go to work, I have to go grocery shopping.

Change this one little word from to 'get' and reap the results.

I get to go to work. I get to go grocery shopping.

Your attitude quickly changes from needing to fulfill obligations, to being grateful for the things that we become accustomed to having.

6. Don’t let yourself get dragged into other people’s complaints.

People have a bad habit of piling their constant complaints on you and changing your mind about how you originally felt about something. For instance, somebody complains to you about the cold weather. You weren’t even thinking about this, but now find yourself agreeing with them.

In a month, you’ll be drowning in complaints. Don’t fall into this trap. Remain in your positive frame of mind, and I assure that not a negative thought will be able to deter you.

7. Breathe.

Its such an involuntary action – breathing –but have you noticed that we sometimes hold our breath when we’re concentrating? Cant you feel your breath change when you’re angry or anxious?

Our breath changes depending on how we feel, but we can also change how we feel by breathing! A couple of deep breaths when under pressure, or experiencing depression, sadness, or negativity may change your entire mood.

8. Notice the righteous in times of tragedy.

It is rather difficult to have hope and positivity in desolate situations such as violence in the media, war, death, etc. or extenuating circumstances at home. In every instance, you will find people rising up, reaching out to help each other, and showing raw, compassionate love.

Hold fast to these stories of modern day heroes and selflessness in times of fear and devastation.