8 Reasons Why Your Starbucks Partners Become Your BFFs

A bond stronger than blonde roast.

133

After college, I became a barista. I feel like a lot of my friends weren't surprised and neither was I, in a way. It's a job that fits my personality and I love coffee, so that's a plus.

Since I started working at Starbucks a year and a half ago, I've experienced a lot. I've met a ton of wonderful and interesting people and I've learned a lot about myself as a person and what I want out of life. I've also put whipped cream on hundreds of frappuccinos.

I was fortunate at my original store where I got hired. I worked with an amazing team of people who were always there for each other, both at work and off the clock. Here are some reasons why your partners become your best friends, and I'm sure other partners can relate to this too:

1. You've survived Frappy Hour together

This one, you can't really understand unless you have worked at Starbucks during Frappy Hour. Especially when you're the busiest store in the district, you set up all of the sauces and back-ups like you're preparing for a battle. Not only is it complete and utter chaos but your arms are covered from top to bottom in frappuccino roast. RIP shoes.

2. You can vent to your co-workers

I can't tell you how many times I have talked to my co-workers like they were my therapist or vice versa. It feels amazing to go to work, knowing that you work with such incredible people and that you can tell them about what's going on in your life. It doesn't feel like work. You get to see people you love every day, which as a result, makes you happier and causes you to enjoy work even more. I think the two should go hand in hand.

3. They become the family you never had

I consider my friends to be more like family than some of my actual family, to be honest. The people I've met at my various stores around the country have taught me a lot about the world, about different issues and about myself as a person. I would never have expected that at a place like Starbucks and I never really experienced this in other customer service positions. It truly makes Starbucks a unique place to work and if you get lucky, your store will become your second family.

4. You can be yourselves with each other

Whether you're talking to the customers in cartoon voices at drive-thru or singing "...Baby One More Time" with your co-workers louder than the music playing in the lobby (sometimes customers have joined in), it feels great to be able to be yourself at work. I hate feeling like I have to put up a front and be someone I'm not. When you can let all your barriers down, that's when you know you've met some beautiful people that you should be grateful to know.

5. You become coffee snobs

The best part about being a barista and having barista friends is that you can have weekly French press meetings and gossip about work and talk about life. You can expect a new episode of The Brew soon.

6. You know each other's drinks

Usually, you go to work and when you're off the clock, you don't return to your workplace. Starbucks doesn't really work like that. I would often find myself stopping by my workplace on my days off, sometimes just to get a coffee. You get to see your friends and they usually know what you're having to drink. They'll usually even make it with extra love - I mean, extra caramel drizzle.

7. You sometimes forget you're talking to your boss

There have been plenty of times where I've been joking around with my shifts like we've been friends for years. I think as long as both partners are mature, it's good to have this kind of relationship. You can be close friends and still have respect for each other at work so that you are being productive. Of course, there's always room for some fun. Like I said, life shouldn't all be about work.

8. You're a support system

I have never worked anywhere like at some of my stores where people have been so close or they have always gone out for drinks to relieve stress after a long day. I hope I can always manage to have a job where it feels like I'm going to see my best friends every day. I would rather work as a team and not against one another.

If you do end up working at Starbucks one day, it won't be a boring experience by far. You may not be expecting much out of the experience, but by the time you make your last cup of coffee for someone other than yourself, you'll have learned more about this crazy world we live in and what you want to get out of it.