8 Reasons to spend the weekend in nature

Relax this weekend

499

What are you doing this weekend? If your answer is something like "oh, I don't know, Dee, probably just vegging out on the couch watching Netflix," I will shake my head and tell you that you have no idea how to do life right. Whether you live in sunny California or cold-as-hell New Hampshire, I'll give you 8 reasons to spend the weekend in nature.

1. Being outside reduces anxiety

I've always been a very calm and collected person (well, for the most part) until I moved to Barcelona. Living in a city where the normal 1.5 million population grows to an astounding 9 million over the summer simply because of tourist influx, can be quite overwhelming. I caught myself developing early symptoms of claustrophobia whenever I was in the center, struggling to elbow my way up the busy Rambla. Worst of all was that I couldn't even hear my own thoughts, so I decided to do something about it. Besides the party playground that Barcelona is known for, the city has a wealth of natural parks and gardens far away from the bustle of Plaça de Catalunya. I began taking the train out to the Montserrat monastery - a tranquil spot always surrounded by misty fog with half a dozen hiking trails winding around the peak. Breathing the fresh mountain air helped me get back in touch with my thoughts and emotions, and feel grounded for the first time in months. Now, you don't need to travel far to achieve the same effect. Go for a walk at a park or a hiking trail near you and surrender to tranquility.

2. You'll stimulate your creativity

Being in nature always makes me feel like an explorer, regardless of whether I'm mountain climbing, swimming or just jumping rope somewhere in the woods. Let your imagination run wild and see what comes out of it. If you like photography or writing, spending time in nature is absolutely invaluable. I've taken many dreamy shots by the ocean in Santa Monica, at an isolated monastery in Bali and at a harbor in Greece. Let nature's visual flood in and see where they take you.

3. Nature helps you reflect on life and goals

Going about your business day after day, soon takes the meaning out of many things, starting with your career. Taking a step back from daily routine lets you look at your life from a distance and evaluate how you're doing. I always ask myself the following three questions as I sit on some cliff up in the mountains or on a sandy beach: "Am I enjoying what I do?" "Am I happy and if not, why?" and "Do I want to continue doing this or do I want my life to head in a different direction?" Sometimes you have to physically separate yourself from quotidian existence in order to determine whether you're on the right track or just going through the motions.

4. You'll get a kick-ass workout

...without feeling like you're working too hard. Hiking is one of the best types of exercise for overall tonus, plus clean air is essential for your brain. Walking up steep hills, hopping over rocks, swimming, jogging or biking will all put you in a great shape, while you have fun. No need to slave away at a sweaty gym breathing stale air.

5. And get an appetite boost

When I was young, I never wanted to eat so my parents would always take me out of the house and make me hike for a half hour, then feed me lamb. Perhaps that's simply how Balkan parents raise their children, but they were right about the appetite boost. Plus, if you exert energy outside, you're more likely to crave healthy, nutritious food and fresh juices, rather than a bag of chips.

6. You'll learn something new

Like which mushrooms you should pick and which not, if you don't want your homemade soup to send you straight to the ER. You'll also get acquainted with a dozen species of plants, birds, and animals (did you know that if you encounter a bear, you have to make yourself as big as possible, waving your arms around and screaming like a lunatic in order to scare it off?)

7. Go challenge yourself

To me, camping is the ultimate challenge. City rat that I am, I have no idea how to put up a tent, how to start a fire or how to feed myself if I ate all my food in my first hour out, as I often do. Arm yourself with patience and go see what you learn.

8. Let the existential perspective sink in

Every time I look out to the ocean or a huge mountain range I feel incredibly small, and my worries even smaller. Witnessing nature in its full glory reminds me how lucky I am to be alive and that I should get in touch with my surroundings more often. Simply sit down and observe nature's movement - that can even be a step towards meditation if you, like me, struggle to quiet your mind.