7 Real Reasons Dorm Life Isn't Required To Have The 'Real College Experience'

I can live at home and still be able to do all the fun things on campus, whattt?

371

There is a certain stigma in our culture that insists anyone who decides to stay home for college is missing out on the "college experience." From looking down on the people who choose community colleges over universities, to telling those who decide against dorm life that they are missing out on the best days of their life, we commuters have heard it all.

However, despite what others may say, living at home isn't as bad as you think. In fact, it's pretty great. Here are some reasons why.

1. It's Financially Smarter

In today's day in age, scholarships aren't as common as everyone thinks, and most people's parents aren't helping them pay for their college (me!). Tuition at universities is crippling enough, so why take out double the amount of loans (that you will be paying off for the rest of your life) for an "experience." It's not just loans, though. When you live at home you don't have to worry about spending money for food, groceries, clothes, or even simple things like laundry detergent.

2. You Really Don't Miss Out on Much

This was something I was worried about when I made the decision to live at home, but, thankfully, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus. From Greek Life to Student Government, universities offer just as many opportunities for involvement to people who live off campus as they do for people that live on campus. I have joined many organizations, including a sorority, and have tons of fun with it! If you want to get involved it will happen.

3. You Will Meet Friends Regardless of Where You Live

Sure, it took me a bit longer to make friends than the people living on campus, but I've made some of my best friends regardless! You will meet tons of people in your lectures, labs, and study groups. I met one of my best friends during a random service project I decided to go to last minute, and we have been inseparable since!

4. You Can Always Spend the Night on Campus With Your Friends That Live in The Dorms

Living at home with parents and siblings can get frustrating, especially the older you get, but if you ever feel like you need a night away with friends, or even if you're studying late and don't want to drive home, you can always stay on campus with a friend! Every college is different on their overnight policies, but it's worth it! I've stayed on campus with friends after homecoming events, soccer games, and just nights out.

5. You Have Your Own Room

Privacy, privacy, privacy! Whether you love your roommate or hate them, living with other people in the same room can be hard, and awkward at times, especially when you and your roommate have differing opinions on the living situation. Sometimes you want privacy when your roommate wants to have people over, you might be studying for a test you have at 8 a.m. while your roommate is up watching Netflix till 2 a.m., or you might come back to your room after a long day only to find out your roommate ate all of YOUR snacks. I'm always thankful I live at home when I hear roommate horror stories from my friends.

SEE ALSO:I Commute To College AND Live At Home And That's OK

6. You're on Campus All the Time Anyway

I really only use my house for a bed if I'm being honest. I study on campus, hang out with my friends on campus, and I eat lunch on campus. Some nights I don't even get home until midnight because of how much time I spend on campus. Only difference is I'm not paying the extra thousands of dollars to have a bed walking distance from where I have class.

7. You'll Be Moving Out in a Few Years Anyway... Why Rush It?

Moving out is a big change that we will all eventually make, so what's the rush. Living at home is a wonderful season in your life, and a great time to make memories with your parents, siblings, and pets. If your parents are offering you free rent, paying for your insurance, giving you spending money, and buying your food, why rush to get out of that? Instead, why not wait until your second or third year of college, when you'll be better off financially.

* * *

College is a great time for many reasons, but it's important to realize that whether you live on campus, in an apartment, or at home, there will be infinite opportunities for new experiences, friendships, adventures, and knowledge regardless.