8 Reasons To Avoid Adulthood At All Cost

Because growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

35
CollegeDegrees360

As I'm beginning my senior year of college, I can't help but always think about the fact that a year from now, I'm supposed to be a real adult. Of course, you're technically an adult when you turn 18, but you're also technically still a teenager. Even in college, I'm willing to bet that most people (myself included) do not feel responsible enough to be considered an adult. A year from now I'm supposed to have a real job, a place to live, and money to support myself. Major props to anyone who doesn't feel extreme anxiety after reading that sentence.

Although there are wonderful aspects of adulthood, I've recently been distracted by the worst of them. The following list includes eight things that make adulthood difficult and utterly unpleasant -- eight reasons you should avoid adulthood at all cost.

1. Taxes.

I'm not even ashamed to admit that my mom still does my taxes because I'm convinced that there is nothing more confusing. I genuinely believe that whoever writes the instructions for tax forms is trying to make it easy for people to fill them out. Sadly, those efforts go unrecognized since tax forms continue to make no sense whatsoever. I think I'll be calling my parents for help until I'm 40 years old.

2. Stains.

When you're an adult, Mom isn't down the hall to come to your rescue when you spill something on your clothes, your carpet, or your bedspread. Is it good to wipe at a stain with a damp towel? Will that make it worse? What cleaning solution won't ruin a fancy shirt? How long before a stain becomes permanent?! Time is of the essence in these situations, so you better hope your parents answer the phone when you call for help.

3. Work.

This is going to sound really depressing, and I apologize in advance for that. But do you realize that once you graduate college, you will work almost every day for the next 45-50 years? I don't know about you, but I get sick of my summer jobs by the time August rolls around. School provides some relief. But there won't be any relief next year. Instead I get to keep working. Every. Day. This is why it's preferable better to enjoy your job.

4. Being Poor.

Chances are, your first job isn't going to leave you with overflowing pockets. It will seem like a lot of money at first, but when you take into account everything that needs to be paid for -- all of the bills, the groceries, the miscellaneous but necessary items -- your income boils down to almost nothing. Disappointing.

5. Purchasing Personal Hygiene Products.

It's a sad, sad day when you have to buy your first tube of toothpaste, bottle of shampoo, box of tampons. A sad, sad day. No one wants to spend hard earned money on those things (which are usually pretty expensive, I might add).

6. Cooking.

With no meal plan or parents to cook you a nice meal, you're stuck relying on your own cooking skills. If you're anything like me, you'll probably end up living solely on toast and fruit. It mostly comes down to my complete lack of motivation to cook a time consuming meal after a long day. And by time consuming, I mean anything that takes more than ten minutes.

7. Broken Items.

The other day, a piece of plastic attached to the lever on my toilet broke off. Lucky for me, my roommate's dad happened to stop by and proceeded to fix said toilet. If not for him, it definitely would have remained broken for months. Same goes for any door handles that fall off, electronics that won't work, and drains that get clogged.

8. Staying In On the Weekend.

This might be the most heartbreaking of them all. Who doesn't love to socialize after a long week? But for some reason it's only socially acceptable to go out every weekend if you're in college. Maybe once you hit 25 a switch goes off in your body that makes you want to sit in every night and knit or watch reruns of tv shows. I guess I'll have to wait and see about that one.

I may be three years deep into "adulthood," but it sure doesn't feel that way. I think it will take at least five to seven more years for me to truly feel like I have my life together -- that I'm finally a responsible adult. But that's okay. Because I think that's how most of us are. We just have to hope that college slows down -- that senior year doesn't fly by like everyone says it does.