8 Major Moments From The New Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer

"We are the spark, that will light the fire, to bring The First Order down!" - Poe Dameron

547
YouTube

If you haven’t seen the trailer that dropped today for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, it’s live here.

SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON

The full-length trailer for the 8th installment of the Star Wars saga was released today, full of “WOW” moments that will surely draw audiences into seats by the thousands when the film is released on December 15th.

1. LUKE’S CHILLING WARNING

“I’ve seen this raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now” - Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi

Right off the bat, we’ve got a warning from our favorite former-farm boy (Mark Hamill) about the implications of what is believed to be the untapped power of Rey (Daisy Ridley). The trailer then cuts to what can be assumed to be a flashback of Luke with what looks to be the destruction of a temple in the background. With how things turned out with Kylo Ren, it is understandable how Luke would be apprehensive to take on a new student.

2. KYLO REN IN ACTION

“I’ll try spinning - that’s a good trick” - Anakin Skywalker, The Phantom Menace

Despite the defeat he suffered at the hands of Rey at the end of The Force Awakens, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) is back for more. And this time, he’s in his own personal starship, a TIE silencer. Taking another trick from his grandfather’s playbook, Kylo is shown utilizing spinning in the trailer during an intense space battle.

3. GENERAL ORGANA AT THE HELM

“Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That’s the only way to become what you were meant to be” - Kylo Ren, The Last Jedi

The one and only Princess Leia makes her first appearance toward the middle of the trailer. It is no doubt this will be an emotional time for the character, dealing with the death of her estranged husband, Han Solo, and her son’s submission to the Dark Side of the Force. As the leader of the resistance, many of the characters will look to Leia for hope and inspiration. As for her relationship with her son, it is hard to speculate on the direction that will take until the movie is unveiled in theaters.

(This will be Carrie Fisher’s last appearance in the Star Wars saga and on the big screen as the actress passed away last winter. She is survived by her daughter, Billie Lourd and her dog, Gary Fisher. May the Force Be With You, Carrie.)3

4. BATTLE CRIES

“RAWWWWR” - Chewbacca, The Last Jedi

PORGS. These adorable penguin-like creatures will be making their debut in the film, and appear to be keeping Chewbacca company in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in the absence of Han Solo. This one lets out a battle cry in conjunction with Chewbacca, ready to face the First Order head-on.

5. POE’S DECLARATION

“We are the spark, that will light the fire, to bring The First Order down!” - Poe Dameron, The Last Jedi

Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) is back! Fresh off a victory against the First Order by destroying Starkiller Base, Poe is certainly ready to continue the fight to bring peace and freedom to the galaxy. In a montage of moments, we see Poe at the helm of his customized X-Wing with his trusted droid, BB-8, as they soar across the battlefield.

6. FINN STRIKES BACK

“Come on!” - Finn, The Last Jedi

Fresh out of a healing tube, Finn (John Boyega) appears to be taking on a truly heroic role in The Last Jedi. Facing off with his former superior, Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie), it seems Finn is taking the lightsaber skills he developed in The Force Awakens and applying them here. After being left in a trash compactor, Phasma is sure to be full of vengeance towards the former stormtrooper and leave nothing held back.

7. HOLOGRAM REVEALED

“When I found you I saw raw, untamed power. And beyond that… something truly special.” - Snoke, The Last Jedi

Formerly a creepy hologram barking orders and cryptic ruminations at Kylo Ren, Supreme Leader Snoke will be making his grand first in the flesh moments in this film. It is unclear exactly what role Snoke will play, but from the scene above it is clear it will be nothing good for Rey.

8. KYLO REN’S INVITATION

“I need someone to show me my place in all this” - Rey

In perhaps the most controversial moment of the trailer—and maybe a trick of editing—Rey’s conflict is beginning to surface. Back during their duel on Starkiller Base, Kylo told Rey she needed a teacher. If she couldn’t find it in Luke, perhaps she’ll find it in his fallen apprentice instead.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters December 15th. Written and directed by Rian Johnson, starring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, and Benicio del Toro.

Once again, if you haven’t seen the trailer that dropped today for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, it’s livehere.