8 Things I Would Tell My High School Self About College

It's OK to eat alone, I promise.

127
Kathryn Hall

This time last year, I was finishing up my last months in high school, ready to start new adventures in college. Even though I was ready to accept everything that would come my way, I was also so nervous about going into a brand-new situation with new people and new experiences.

As a second semester freshman, I would love to go back and tell that senior in high school to take a breath because everything will turn out OK.

1. You won’t get lost

This was a worry that would keep me up at night in the days leading up to my first classes. All I could picture was walking in the wrong classroom and embarrassing myself in front of a full lecture hall.

But once I got to campus, it took no time at all to learn my way around and the best routes to take to get to class. A walkthrough of classes with your friends the day before they start is also a great way to feel more comfortable.

2. You will find a routine

It may take a few weeks, or even almost a month, into the semester to get your routine down, but before you know it, you will be eating lunch at the same times with the same people, finding your favorite days to do homework in the library, and knowing which days you can relax more and spend time with friends.

3. Professors do care

This doesn’t necessarily apply to every professor you encounter in college, but most professors truly want to see their students succeed.

They are always willing to meet outside of class, offer extra help, or just be there to listen. I always imagined scary old teachers who yelled all the time, but I have had some amazing professors that have taught me so much and really made sure I had every resource I needed to succeed.

4. Second semester is a lot different than first semester

There’s just a different vibe to second semester.

Sure, I was comfortable after a couple months into the first semester, but coming back to second semester, I was able to start my new classes with so much more confidence with a new sense of belonging.

I really got closer to new friends second semester, and just felt like I had a better grip on things overall.

5. You will learn things about yourself

This definitely sounds like some overused line about discovering yourself, but it’s so true. College is unlike anything you’ve experienced, so you are bound to find out some things about yourself.

How do you handle stress? Are you really as organized as you think you are? Do you still identify as a morning person after your 8 am?

6. College kids aren’t as judgmental as you think

Going into college, I was so worried that I would stick out like a sore thumb because I didn’t want to be the weird freshman on campus.

After getting to college, all of these fears disappeared. There are so many weirdos on this campus that everyone kind of becomes weirdos together and accepts each other.

Sure, there are some people that do interesting things that get them some weird looks, but most of the time people just cheer them on and go on their way.

7. It’s OK to eat alone

It is OK to do so many things alone, I promise.

As a senior, I was so used to doing everything with at least one person, so the newfound independence in college took some getting used to, but it is amazing. This doesn’t mean you can become a loner, but if your friends are busy, it is totally normal to go grab some food and eat alone or go to the library and study by yourself.

We all need some alone time, and it is definitely normal to do this.

8. You will make new friends

This is probably the biggest worry for incoming students.

It’s natural to be nervous about being around so many new people and that you won’t find your new BFFs, but they will come. Whether you meet them from your sorority/fraternity, a club, or they live in the same dorm— you will meet people in the most random ways, and they will become some of your greatest friends.

You may also reconnect with people from your hometown that you haven’t talked to in years. These new friends may not come right away, but you will find your people.

Don’t worry.