11 Weird Things I Experienced In 11 Hours At The Airport

I wish I was just able to get on my plane and fly; I also wish this was all a lie.

16
Kaylee Smith

Any area that fosters social capital can be interesting, especially lengthy airport stays. Due to my canceled flight, this definitely was an interesting night.

1. A british man sprinting (with his coffee)

While waiting to board our flight, my friend and I saw a British man running like he was trying to break his 400-meter dash time to the gate next to ours. He was informed that he had missed his flight, despite him and his family has been in the area as their plane boarded. It's hard not to feel sympathetic for a person who has missed their flight, despite not knowing them.

2. A TSA member who looked (and sounded) like DJ Khaled

While we asked him if this was gate 4a, we wholeheartedly were expecting him to say “no, that's another one."

3. Our flight getting cancelled

This resulted in us staying at the airport lounge for a plethora of hours. It is very hard to sleep in chairs with normal lighting scenery.

4. Having to go through TSA twice

We couldn’t stay in the boarding area all night, so that required us to go back to the central part of the airport, which required us to go through TSA again the next morning.

5. Getting cat called incessantly

We are two nineteen year old girls. Us dressing in shorts and a quarter-sleeve top should not provoke men to comment on how nice we look. The compliment are nice, but there is no reason men in their thirties should keep doing it to us while at an airport.

6. Having airport security act like we’re incompetent

Our flight got cancelled so we had to leave the boarding area and just needed to know where we’re going, yet that somehow resulted in being treated like we don’t know how to read a map.

7. Being airdropped a screenshot of someone’s snapchat

This boy, while my friend and I were waiting to board (before the flight cancellation), airdropped me a picture of his snapchat username. We added him back to see what he'd say, and he just made peculiar small talk. We were supposed to be on the same flight.

8. Being asked to go on a walk

The same person who airdropped me a picture of their snapchat, ended up finding my friend and I in a lounge a few hours later. He then approached me and asked if I would go on a walk with him, to which I replied that I was expecting a call.

9. Accidentally buying sugar free chocolate

We were obviously getting hungry around 3 a.m. and our options were limited. We thought we bought a normal bag of those little Hershey chocolate bars, but they ended up being sugar free; somehow while maintaining the same flavor.

10. An airport cop approaching a woman very angrily

A policeman approached a woman sitting near my friend and I. He started to non-ironically freak out on her and ask for identification and why she had been here so long. She replied that she was waiting for her son in the military to fly in, and after some questioning, he walked away.

11. The boy who airdropped me an article commenting on my “Odyssey” position

He asked, once again, if I’d like to walk with him. I explained that I write for a website, and had to be writing an article for my deadline. He then responded with, verbatim, “A cute journalist, I really got a good catch.”

This night isn't over, but I sure am. No matter the reason or length of an airport stay due to a canceled flight, some weird shit is bound to go down.