The 73rd Golden Globe Awards Recap

The 73rd Golden Globe Awards Recap

A comprehensive list of the fashion and award winners at this year's show.

48
The 73rd Golden Globe Awards Recap
MySpace Buzz

Since 1944, The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has honored the best in film (and later, film and television) from around the world. At the start of each year, Hollywood's best gather for a glamorous night of famous interactions and tearful acceptance speeches. This year's 73rd Golden Globes aired live this Sunday night, hosted by Ricky Gervais. Here is a list of every award winner, as well as some of the memorable moments and red carpet stand outs that made this year's Globes a night to remember.

Red Carpet

For many people, the Red Carpet is just as important as the honoring of talent that comes later. All of Hollywood's favorite celebrities converge on one long strip of red carpet as the night begins. Fans are allowed to scream and gawk unabashedly from nearby as Jennifer Lawrence, Denzel Washington, and Amy Schumer posed in their finest attire. Here are some of the greatest and riskiest Red Carpet looks of the year.

Full slideshow of every major red carpet look here.

The Awards

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Kate Winslet

Winslet won for her role of Joanna Hoffman in "Steve Jobs." The actress has been nominated for many Golden Globes in the past, and this is her third win.

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television: Maura Tierney

Maura Tierney won for her performance in the "The Affair." It was her first Golden Globe nomination and win.

Best Actress in a TV Series - Comedy: Rachel Bloom

This was also the first award and nomination for Rachel Bloom. She won for her role in "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend."

Best TV Series - Comedy: "Mozart in the Jungle"

This was an unexpected and exciting win for the Amazon show, with other very popular shows also nominated for the category.

Best Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television: "Wolf Hall"

While '"Fargo" may have been the predicted winner, this new, lesser-known show pulled out an impressive win instead.

Best Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television: Oscar Isaac

Isaac won for his performance in "Show Me a Hero." This was his first Golden Globe win and second nomination.

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television: Christian Slater

Slater won for his role in "Mr. Robot." This was the first nomination and award for the actor, who was previously known as something of a "show killer."

Best Original Score: Ennio Morricone, "The Hateful Eight"

This award was accepted on behalf of Morricone by director Quentin Tarantino. It was the composer's eighth nomination and third win.

Best Actor in a TV Series - Drama: Jon Hamm

This was Hamm's second win for his role in "Mad Men." Since this year was the final year for the show, it seems a fitting end to Hamm's greatest legacy.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Matt Damon

This was a fairly expected win for the actor, whose movie "The Martian" has been getting a ton of hype since it's release.

Best Animated Film: "Inside Out"

The award was accepted by co-director and co-producer Pete Docter and producer Jonas Rivera. "Inside Out" was a favorite of the year and the predicted winner.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Sylvester Stallone

Stallone's first Golden Globes win earned him a standing ovation from the enthusiastic crowd. The actor was emotional as he accepted his award for "Creed."

Best Screenplay of a Motion Picture: Aaron Sorkin, "Steve Jobs"

This is Sorkin's second Golden Globes win. Though his adaptation of the life of Steve Jobs was at times criticized as "impressionistic," the film was highly acclaimed and the Hollywood Foreign Press were clearly impressed.

Best Actor in a TV Series - Musical or Comedy: Gael Garcia Bernal

This was the second award of the night for "Mozart in the Jungle," a lesser known show created on Amazon. It was Gael Garcia Bernal's first win and nomination.

Best Foreign Language Film: "Son of Saul"

This dark film was the first feature film of Hungarian director László Nemes, who accepted the award for the film.

Best Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television: Lady Gaga

In a surprising turn of events, the recently-turned actress won for her disturbing role in "American Horror Story: Hotel." She also ran into Leonardo DiCaprio on the way onstage, which seems to be almost as big a deal for some people.

Best Original Song: Sam Smith and Jimmy Napes, "Writing's on the Wall"

The song, featured in the hit movie "Spectre," also earned a new award for Sam Smith to add to his collection of Grammys.

Best TV Series - Drama: "Mr. Robot"

This new show had an unexpected win, nominated in the same category as immensely popular shows such as "Game of Thrones" and "Empire."

Cecil B. DeMille Award: Denzel Washington

Tom Hanks presented this lifetime achievement award to Denzel Washington, saying, “If Washington doesn’t ring out loud enough, then let the first name carry all the weight. And that name is Denzel.” The actor brought his entire family up on stage with him, while the audience gave him a standing ovation.

Best Director of a Motion Picture: Alejandro Inarritu, "The Revenant"

This was the director's second Golden Globe. He also won last year for the screenplay of "Birdman."

Best Actress in a TV Series - Drama: Taraji P. Henson

Henson won for her work in the hit show "Empire." On the way to the stage, the actress began handing out cookies to the audience, in honor of her character on the show. It was her first Golden Globes nomination and win.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence

Lawrence won for her starring role in "Joy." This was an impressive third win in four nominations for the young actress.

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: "The Martian"

Director Ridley Scott accepted the award for best picture. He also seconded the rest of the country's confusion, mentioning that it was a little strange for the movie to be nominated in the comedy category.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Brie Larson

Larson won for her excellent performance in "Room." It was her first win and nomination.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Leonardo DiCaprio

Leo was more or less expected to win for his intense role in "The Revenant." It is his third Golden Globes win. Fans are still holding out hope that one day he'll win his Oscar.

Best Motion Picture - Drama: "The Revenant"

"The Revenant" pulled out an unexpected win and its third award of the night, despite the film not being a clear front-runner before the show began.

All in all, this year's Golden Globes did not disappoint, and was filled with plenty of amazing fashion, deserving award winners, and memorable moments. I think we're all excited to say that award show season is truly upon us.