12 Ways Your College Friends Are Your Parents Away From Home

Having the "Mom Friend" turns into having an entire group of friends as parents.

397
Caleigh Pittman

In high school, we all believed that we had the "mom" of the friend group. They made sure we were all wearing our seatbelts when we hit up McDonald's. We're in college now, and the inner parent comes out in all of us. We help with homework, relationship advice, and sometimes, yes... Even nagging happens.

1. Always bringing snacks

I know which of my friends always have snacks in their bag in case one of us forgot to eat after practice, before class, or even before we go to the frats. Someone ALWAYS has snacks to ensure that you're never hungry.

2. Making sure you study first

Going out before doing your homework or before studying for that big test you have on Monday? Don't even think about it. The friends who actually want to see you succeed in that science class will make sure you have your priorities straight. I know that my mom always made sure my assignments were done before I went out with friends.

3. Asking how you did on assignments

"Did you actually study?" or "Did you turn it in on time?" are questions I always hear from my friends and teammates after receiving my grades. They always want to see you do well!

4. The corny jokes

There's the "mom" friend, and of course the "corny dad" friend, which is usually me. We'll make the corniest jokes in almost any situation. Just consider me Danny Tanner or Joey Gladstone.

5. Always cleaning up after you

ALWAYS cleaning up after one another - whether it's grabbing their empty cups off of the table in the caf or putting their dirty clothes in their baskets. Moms are always cleaning up after their messy kids... How did I end up with three teenagers to look after?

6. Helping you with laundry

Ahhh, college. It's the perfect time to figure out how to do laundry by yourself! Or with a little help from your good ol' pals. Lost socks, bleach stains, lack of quarters, running out of detergent, and forgetting to switch your clothes over before going to class. I'm either calling someone to move my wet clothes out of the washer before they end up on the floor or I'm helping someone separate the colors from their whites. Friends are always there to help with any mess (literally).

7. "Lending" you money

The words "borrowing" and "lending" are not in college students' common vocabulary. Spotting someone's tip or giving them gas money to go home is money that you will NEVER see again. Just like swearing to our parents "If you buy this for me right now, I'll pay you back when I get paid" is our favorite line.

8. Being the handyman

Don't break anything, because chances are... You won't know how to fix it. When duct tape fails, give up. I broke a couch weeks ago and it's still sitting lopsided and broken. If it's not a couch, just call me Tim Allen from "Home Improvement".

9. Picking them up when they fall

Just as much as parents hate when their little ducklings get upset and fail, so do your friends. We have to be the ones to make sure that they stand back up. We are always there for one another when our actual parents could be hours away. Your best friends could be down the hall, in the same dorm, or right across campus, and they'll run to you in a heartbeat.

10. Spotting bad intentions before they do

Parents will always be the first ones to spot when something is about to go awry or when you're encountering fake friends. Our other friends also have these tingling parental senses. They go off when one of their friends is about to do something they're going to regret - especially texting Timmy from "Apple Crumble Pie" to come over after the party.

11. Taking care of them when they've had a little too much fun

This seems to happen more often than it should, LOL. We ALL have that one friend who can't handle their liquor and ends up yacking all over the floor of the frat. You can't help but laugh and help them. Getting them water and a loaf of bread is the best thing that you can do to try to prevent their sickness the next day.

12. Being your number one supporter

This is just a huge shoutout to the friends who support me in every way possible. Friends in college will hype you up whether you look like you've been living under a rock or you're slaying your looks. They're there if you're in a new relationship, egging you on to eat more ice cream for breakfast, and showing up to your sporting events. Thank you for being my mom on the sidelines!

College is where you find your people, your forever friends, and the ones who genuinely love and care about you. If any of your friends have any of these 7 qualities, hold onto them tight! Give them a hug, and maybe even an extra one for your mom. These friends will keep you glued together during some of the craziest years of your life, so you might as well enjoy the ride!