7 Affordable, Easy Ways To Vamp Up Your Dorm/Bedroom

I've always been a fan of interior design and room decorating, and I'm constantly looking for new ways to improve my room game, make DIYs for my room, or buy cheap room decor. I've compiled 7 tactics I use in my own room to make it look more aesthetic without spending too much on it.

Make a wall photo mural.

This is as simple as printing out a ton of pictures of family, friends, or anything else to your liking, and using wall tape to tape it to your room. Some different ways to position the pictures could be in a heart, spelling out your initials, or simply sticking them in rows and columns. A nice touch would be adding fairy lights to it or using string and clothespins to hang them up.

Use tapestry.

Tapestry is about as simple as it gets when it comes to room decor. It's inexpensive and it serves as a great backdrop which can be used for a variety of purposes. I personally recommend ones with darker colors, straying away from the lighter, brighter ones.

Add throw pillows to your bed.

Throw pillows can get a bit pricey, so it's important to know where to buy them. I always get mine from Ross, TjMaxx, or places like Walmart/Target. Even a few of these can make your bed look 10x better.

Use a statement art piece.

Using one bold piece of art or something that serves as a center or focus for the room can help in decorating and making your room look like you put in more effort than actual. Lately, I've been really interested in the multiple pieces of art, where each one completes the other, and neon signs which can sometimes be customized.

Keep a color scheme.

When decorating, it's extremely important to stick to a theme or a color scheme and apply it throughout. Although it may be tempting to buy an item that doesn't match, it is more beneficial to stick to the scheme. I've found it appealing to use 2-3 colors because 1 seems as if there's too much going on, and anything above 3 is basically not a color scheme anymore.

Keep designated areas for different tasks.

Don't do your homework on your bed! It's extremely important to have a separate work table that allows you to be more organized and keep your nap life away from your student life. It's extremely easy to keep a work room organized, as long as you have designated locations for everything, and put things back when you're done with them!

Invest in a comfortable rug.

Throw rugs can make any boring old wooden or tile floor look much more appealing. I personally have invested in many plush throw rugs over the years and I have never been disappointed. However, I recommend getting gray or colored rugs as I find the white ones get dirty easily.