7 Ways To Feel More Organized In Your Daily Routine

Staying on top of your to-do list is hard. But it doesn't have to be!

75
Inspirer

Staying organized is essential for some people to be the best they can be. For others...not so much. Regardless of your style, college is a place where organization is essential to keep track of what you need to do and prioritize tasks based on their deadlines. Between homework, presentations, essays and exams, we find ourselves plenty busy (and that doesn't even include work or a social life). Here are seven things I’ve found helpful to stay organized and on-task:

1. Planner

A planner is a good way to know what your workload looks like for the entire semester. It can also help you learn your schedule. You can write down whatever you need to remember to do or want to schedule--this can be school-, work- or friend-related. Plus, you can color-code it and scribble little notes and checks when you accomplish tasks.

2. Calendars

Calendars are a huge help. Whiteboard calendars help me because, like my planner, it helps me to write out what I have to do because I seem to remember it better. Google Calendars, or other technological calendars in general, are helpful because you plan and schedule far in advance and they can send you reminders in case you’ve forgotten about something. Someone else can also invite you to events through these apps, too.

3. Trello

Trello is not something I have a lot of experience with, but we started using it at my workplace and I think it’s a great way to keep up on priorities. You can make lists of things that are due daily, weekly and monthly. You can also write down due dates and assignments for your classes!

4. Lists

Write. Everything. Down. Though I prefer bulleted lists, general lists like grocery lists, homework lists, etc. are great ways to take audit of what all you have to do.

5. Sticky notes

I cannot tell you just how many sticky notes I have all over my room and desk to remind myself of something I have to do or somehwere I have to be. It might not be too functional in terms of organization, but it’s great if someone asks you to remind them or if you have a thought you can’t deal with right away.

6. Reminders

I set a lot of reminders on my phone because a lot of times there are things I remember I need to do, but I can’t do them at that exact moment. So, phone reminders are great for setting a time when you want the reminder to pop up and tell you to do a task.

7. E-mails

Sometimes I email myself because I’m in the middle of class or work and I’m not supposed to have my phone out, I don’t have sticky notes or I don’t want to pull out my planner. This helps a lot if you want to write out specific details for an assignment or task.

Of course, all of this is subjective. Every person has something that works well him or her, but these tips, tricks and methods might help you if you hadn’t thought to try them and are interested in becoming more organized.