7 Underrated Netflix Binges You're Missing Out On

A list of some of the best shows you really should check out.

52
@jgryntysz on Pixabay

With many millions of people signed up for a Netflix subscription all over the globe, it's no surprise that the streaming service has been the benefactor behind a plethora of cultural phenomena. Considering Netflix's insanely profuse library of entertainment, however, it's a shame that so much excellent content goes largely under the radar once it gets buried in Netflix's list of recommendations. For every "Stranger Things" or "Black Mirror," there's at least a dozen quality shows not garnering the attention they deserve.

Below is a list of some underrated Netflix binges you may or may not have seen but definitely should check out when you've run out of shows to marathon through:

1. "American Vandal"

Seasons: 1

Genre: Comedy, Mystery

Description:

A hilarious satire of true crime documentaries, "American Vandal" follows a known high school troublemaker, Dylan Maxwell, who faces major trouble when he's accused of vandalizing the school's teacher parking lot with inappropriate drawings. The story's told through a mockumentary format as an aspiring filmmaker documents his journey to clear Dylan's name.

2. "The End Of The F***ing World"

Seasons: 1

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Description:

An edgy comedy about a loudmouth rebellious teen and her psychopathic boyfriend as they run away from their hometown and go on an adventure into the outside world. It's a crazy premise on paper, but delightfully entertaining to watch unfold onscreen. The show's best laughs are hilariously dark, but "The End Of The F***ing World" isn't lacking in hard-hitting drama either. Plus, it's only a few half-hour episodes long, so check it out if you're in the mood for a quick, compelling story.

3. "The Good Place"

Seasons: 1

Genre: Comedy

Description:

An innovative, high-concept sitcom from the creator of "Parks and Recreation," "The Good Place" revolves around Eleanor, a selfish woman who dies and wakes up in Heaven, only to realize she was sent there by mistake. The comedy tackles a plethora of ethical dilemmas while delivering lighthearted comedy with its wacky characters and clever visual gags.

4. "Marvel's Jessica Jones"

Seasons: 2

Genre: Mystery, Drama

Description:

A Netflix original from Marvel Studios, "Jessica Jones" follows a disillusioned ex-superhero who starts up a practice in the field of private investigation while demons from her past slowly start to come back into the picture. The show's a clear deviation from most other superhero shows in that powers are rarely used and don't provide any sort of spectacle. "Jessica Jones" instead relies on its mystery, intrigue and grounded environment to create an altogether compelling series.

5. "Master Of None"

Seasons: 2

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Description:

Written by and starring comedian Aziz Ansari, "Master of None" follows young aspiring actor Dev as he navigates the modern world of dating and romance (among other tribulations). Both seasons of this show have pulled off charming, intricate romances, shown incredible character depth, and even pulled off striking moments of ambitious filmmaking, making it undoubtedly one of the most meaningful comedy series in recent history.

6. "Bojack Horseman"

Seasons: 4

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Description:

Though "Bojack Horseman" does exist in the category of raunchy adult cartoons (a la "Rick and Morty"), the show's a fantastic exercise in clever humor rooted in extreme emotional depth. The series follows the titular character Bojack, a former sitcom star and current washed-up celebrity (who also happens to be a horse, but it's 2018 so that's okay), who faces the consequences of his own flawed personality and emotional baggage while learning to appreciate life and those around him. Though the show does tackle some heavy themes, each episode is filled with hilarious gags and plenty of fun moments to create the ideal balance of hilarity and emotion.

7. "Arrested Development"

Seasons: 4

Genre: Comedy

Description: This outrageously funny sitcom follows the dysfunctional Bluth family as it traverses awkwardly turbulent relationships and gets itself into some unexpected situations. "Arrested Development" relies on refreshingly clever humor and keeps up a number of running gags, though each singular episode provides an insanely entertaining story in and of itself.

Despite the show underperforming when it was on the air, it quickly developed a cult following and massive amounts of fan appraisal, so much so that Netflix even brought the show back for its fourth and latest season. "Arrested Development" is easily one of the most memorable shows I've watched, so I highly recommend it if you're in need of a new streaming binge.