Suffering from lack of sleep? Depending on coffee to get you through the day? Struggling to keep your eyes open during classes the next day? I've definitely felt that way before, so here are seven ways to get more than three hours of sleep every night.

1. Turn off your phone notifications.

One of the things that causes a lack of sleep is your phone. For me, I can't stop looking at it. I get distracted, especially when I see new notifications pop up. Most of the time, these messages aren't even relevant to my schoolwork. They just serve as a hindrance. When you're working, make sure to turn off all notifications so you won't be disturbed by your phone. This way, you can get work done faster and go to sleep earlier.

2. Put your phone far away.

If you are still looking at your phone even when notifications are off, maybe it's time to put it away until you're done with everything. You can either put it in a separate room, or if you don't have enough self-control, tell someone else to hold it for you until you're done with all your work. Once you've finished everything, you can ask for it back, and if time permits, use it for a while. Just make sure to keep track of time so you go to sleep just like you scheduled.

3. Do homework in order from your most important subject to your least important.

Usually, I do math (and math-related) subjects first because my brain gradually gets more tired, and it's better to finish all math work first. Then I do my other assignments, starting off with more challenging and thought-provoking subjects to easier and simpler subjects. Because of this, it usually takes me less time to finish everything because my brain won't be as tired, and I can go to bed earlier.

4. Once it's past a certain time, just stop.

Usually, after 10:30 p.m., my brain just stops. Anything I do after that is not good quality. Everyone obviously has their own time when their brain wants to shut down for the day, so make sure you know when your time is to stop all work after that. Get some sleep, and then if you want, wake up early to finish everything else. Usually, I wake up normally and then finish all the work in the extra minutes I have before class or during lunch.

5. Have a daily bedtime routine.

Having a clear bedtime routine every night permits you to fall asleep faster and better. For me, my routine is to finish all my homework for that night, go on my phone for a few minutes and, if time permits, read a few pages of a book. Reading a book helps to clear my mind and makes me feel more sleepy. However, do whatever is best for you; this can include listening to music or drinking a cup of tea.

6. Don't drink caffeine at least six hours before sleeping.

This one may sound obvious, but it's hard to accomplish sometimes. Studies have shown that drinking a cup of coffee zero, three or six hours before bed disturbs sleep dramatically. Besides, you might feel the effects of the caffeine wearing off early on, leading to tiredness and drowsiness for the rest of the day.

7. Go to sleep at about the same time every night.

This is similar to having a daily bedtime routine, but it is important to make sure to sleep at approximately the same time every night. This tells your body when to sleep and when to wake up, which is important for getting more sleep. Don't vary your sleep times. I had a hard time adjusting after long breaks because I often slept after midnight and woke up past 10 a.m. Although I forced myself to go to sleep earlier when school first started, I realized that I just couldn't.