7 Times Ross Geller Was Literally The Worst Friend On 'Friends'

He won't be there for you, and I won't be there for him

When it comes to "Friends," everyone has their favorite, and a lot of people have that one friend that they just don’t like as much as the others. For me, that’s Ross Geller. But it’s not that I just don’t like him, I think the series could have been greatly improved by removing him completely. When I list my favorite Friends, Ross doesn’t make the top 6. I’ve said on multiple occasions that I think Rachel could have done much better and that they should not have gotten back together again at the end of the series. I almost listed all of the reason their relationship isn’t healthy but I decided to focus on Ross since it’s mostly his fault.

So here’s a collection of the times that Ross was the worst.

1. When he tried to keep Ben from playing with a Barbie doll

Carol and Susan drop off Ben to be watched by Ross and Ben is holding a Barbie doll that he apparently picked out himself. We immediately see Ross’s face turn into “oh my god what if my son is gay.” It’s never actually stated that this is what Ross is thinking but given how subtly homophobic he is about Carol and Susan I don’t think it’s outside of the realm of possibilities. Ross then spends the rest of his time with his son trying to convince Ben to play with a GI Joe instead.

2. His fixation on his ex-wife’s relationship

I recently tried to start Friends from the beginning and had to keep skipping ahead because there was so much of Ross having an issue with Carol and Susan, mostly Susan. He ruins one of his dates because he can’t stop focusing on Carol and Susan who are also at the restaurant. When Carol is pregnant with Ben, Ross tires to turn it into a competition with Susan over who can be the better partner. You got dumped dude, it sucks and it’s wrong that she cheated on you, but you need to move on.

3. When he wasn’t going to divorce Rachel

Did he honestly think he would be able to get away with that? He blatantly lied and totally disregarded Rachel’s feelings. Again.

4. When he threw away the message for Rachel

This is incredibly manipulative. Throughout the series we’ve seen Ross trying to sabotage Rachel’s relationships with other men but this time he got caught. This had literally nothing to do with him and yet somehow suddenly it did because in Ross’s world, it’s always about him.

5. The sandwich overreaction

It’s a sandwich. Chill out.

6. When he didn’t help Chandler help Joey

Joey was having money problems but was too proud to ask for help or accept a loan from a friend, so Chandler designed a fake card game to help Joey “win” some money. Joey then played the game with Ross and lost the money. When Chandler told Ross the whole story, Ross refused to give back the money to help a friend.

7. Any time he acted like he was entitled to date Rachel just because he’d liked her for so long

First of all, the long-time near obsession is just creepy. Second, it doesn’t matter how much he likes her if she doesn’t like him back. It’s not a race to see who “wins” it’s Rachel’s life. She gets to make her own decisions and you get to live with it.