7 Things to Remember Your First Semester of College

3. You may not get along with your roommate.

197
Bree Smith

When you're getting ready for college, things can become stressful. Planning schedules, choosing a roommate, and deciding what your dorm is going to look like can get overwhelming. There are going to be ups and downs especially if you're not used to living with so many people and sharing small spaces. College is great, don't get me wrong. But here are seven things to remember:

1. You will get sick.

I think this is a big thing that people tend to think won't happen to them. But the truth is, you will get sick. People like to believe that since they usually don't get sick, or haven't in years, that they won't. But living with a bunch of new people and being in smaller spaces can lead to sickness. I was one of those people who thought because I usually never got sick that I wouldn't, but when the second week of school rolled around I was sicker than a dog. College is stressful and sometimes you won't get a full night of sleep, which can make you more susceptible to getting sick. So take care of yourself, and make sure you've got a bottle of NyQuil and some Advil handy for when the plague hits your hall.

2. Go to class.

Yes, I know those 8 a.m. classes are rough and sometimes you probably hate yourself for doing that when you planned your schedule but it's so important to go to class. Skipping days when you don't really need them causes you to fall behind in class, which might I add, you're paying hundreds of dollars for to attend. There will be days when you've gotten very little sleep due to homework, loud roommates, or because you decided to go out and party on a Monday, but you will be able to pull through. Save the days off for when you're sick and need them.

There, I said it. I think that everyone automatically assumes that they'll be like best friends with their roommate, and I hope that actually happens for you. But in some cases, you just don't get along. Now, I never expected to be the one with a roommate I wasn't friends with, because I (like everyone else) thought "well that won't happen to me." It did, and it does. You may hit it off with your dorm buddy, and everything be fine for awhile then BAM! you're no longer friends, but that's okay. A lot of the time it happens because you two aren't used to living together, or you just don't mesh as well as you thought. No matter what though, you are in college to learn and further your future, not to become best friends with your roommate. And if you happen to get along with them, props to you, you're like winning in the roommate department.

4. You will date.

Oh yes, dating. Such a lovely topic to think about when college is right around the corner. Dating is scary, which is coming from a girl who had one serious boyfriend in high school and didn't really like the idea of dating after that. It's scary. So many responsibilities like actually hanging out with them, sharing things, and giving your full attention can be quite overwhelming at times. Bur it's going to happen. You may date one person that you spend the rest of your college years with, or maybe you go through guys (or girls) like underwear. It's inevitable, living with hundreds of people and meeting new ones in every class, it's hard not to date someone. Who knows, maybe you'll find your soulmate.

5. Your grades matter.

Yikes. Grades are extremely important in college. That ten page, Chicago style history paper that's due at the end of the semester? You should probably work on it throughout the year, otherwise it'll be the day before it's due and you'll be up all night trying to write it. College grades are weird. You may turn in 4 assignments all semester and if you do poorly on one, or fail to turn one it, it could bring your grade down drastically. Finals are already hard enough, so getting your homework and projects finished and turned in on time is something you need to do. Passing your classes are what help you graduate on time, and as previously stated - you're paying hundreds of dollars for those classes. You don't want to have to retake one because you didn't turn in your midterm project.

6. Visit home whenever you can.

Go home, all the time. I cannot stress this enough. I was one of those people who couldn't wait to go to college and get away from home. I used to say "oh, I'll never miss home, I might miss my family at times, but I'm glad to be gone." Not anymore. Home is now college, and my hometown is just where I grew up. Being two hours away, with a job where I work 5 days out of the week and attend classes every day, makes it hard to go home. I miss my family more than I ever thought possible. And while college is fun and exciting and new, I count down the days until I get to see my family. Breaks are really the only time I have, and that may be the case for you. But go home any chance you get, it'll make life a whole lot easier.

7. Have fun.

College doesn't have to be all work and no play. You meet new people, and you have new experiences from the minute you step foot on that campus on move in day. HAVE FUN! Study when needed, and work to make money, but also leave time for friends and memories. You will meet some of the best people in life while you're at college. It's okay to go out and party and spend time with your friends, that's why you're surrounded by so many people. You just have to fine the right ones to befriend. Be safe, but make all the memories in the world during your college years, you won't regret it.

As a college freshmen just finishing her first semester, I can say that there will be hard times, and you may fail some of your tests, but the people you surround yourself with and the memories you will make, will always out do the bad things. Remember why you're there, and never let things get in the way of what you want to do.