7 Things I'm Looking Forward to This Summer

Cheers to making Summer 2019 the best one yet!

90

Here's to a great summer:

Not Wearing a Winter Coat

Let's just say that living in the Midwest makes you very excited about summertime weather. Especially because it's been raining more than usual lately, days where the sun is out and shining are highly anticipated and appreciated.

When I was in Milwaukee for the Eastern Finals a week ago, it was great to see hundreds of people cheering on the Bucks outside at the Beer Garden. We're so used to the cold that it's an entirely different vibe when the sun is out on game day. We might have lost, but the experience was epic.

Catching Flights

If you know me at all, you know I LOVE to travel. To me, the more cities I visit in the summer the better. This summer I will be dividing my time between Detroit, Milwaukee, Upper Michigan, Atlanta, Santa Barbara, Anaheim, Los Angeles, and San Diego. I'm really looking forward to each trip!

Cashing Checks

This summer I have a fellowship with a program called Organizing Corps powered by the DNC. The fellowship focuses on training the next generation of campaign organizers in preparation for the 2020 Elections. I haven't had much experience with campaigning (my political experience has been focused more on the legislative side), but it will be fascinating and exciting to learn about campaign organizing. The program is taking place in 10 of the most battleground cities when it comes to winning elections. I will be working for the Michigan Democratic Party's Detroit branch, but I will also get to meet the 300 fellows from the 10 different cities next week during my training in Atlanta.

I've actually never had a summer job. (I tend to work during the school year, so I can relax in the summer). However, it will be great to make money over the summer and network with likeminded college seniors trying to pursue careers in politics.

Hanging Out with Family and Friends

This is the first summer since I have started college that I will be spending time in both my college town and my hometown. Thus, I'm looking forward to hanging out with my friends from both places. Also, I love seeing my immediate and extended family in the summer because Black cookouts are no joke! Let's just say I won't have to cook most of the summer because my family loves giving me food when I'm home.

The Bachelorette!!

In my opinion, this season of The Bachelorette is really good, and I finally have time to relax and watch tv. My favorite guys this season are Mike Johnson, Pilot Pete, Tyler C, and Jedd. I hope Hannah picks Pilot Pete or Jedd, and either Mike or Tyler C. becomes the next Bachelor. If one of those two is the next bachelor, I might have to apply for the show.

Popping Curls

I don't know if other curly haired people are the same, but my curls in the summer are POPPING! There is something about big curly hair that reminds me of summertime, and you'll definitely see me rocking my curls this summer.

Eating Healthy and Exercising

I am normally a fairly healthy person, but I was eating a crazy amount of takeout during the end of this past school year and slacking on my workout routine. Luckily, the summer gives me more time to workout and focus on my overall health and wellbeing. This summer, my workout focus will be on high intensity cardio with a moderate concentration on abs. I think that this will be a great way to build up my athletic stamina which is something I have been slowly working on for the past year.

To everyone reading this: I hope you have a blessed summer because you deserve it!