7 Lessons 'Sex And The City' Taught Me About Life

There's more to life than fabulous clothes and men in New York City.

584

**Cues theme song to the iconic pictures of New York City, and ends with Carrie's getting splashed by the bus.

Sex and the City follows New York sex/relationship columnist Carrie Bradshaw as she dates the New York City scene along with her best friends Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte. Carrie's column is popular among many because she's not afraid to be vulnerable and share her love life failures and successes.

I finally found a few spare moments to start watching Sex and the City from the very beginning in order. I have laughed, cringed, and searched every hairstyle Carrie wore because #curlyhairqueen.

In lieu of this chronological journey through the lives of four fabulous women here are 7 things I learned from Sex and the City so far:

1. A true group of girlfriends will be there with you through anything

Carrie and the girls were the ultimate urban tribe of New York City. Though they date men all over the concrete jungle searching for love and fun, they never lose touch with each other. They experience death, birth, heartbreak, and financial struggle together.

You find out who your friends are when you feel your world crumbling around you. I appreciate the fact that they don’t see eye to eye, and they clash from time to time because that’s human. I respect a friendship where there are differences of opinion because that gives everyone a fresh perspective.

2. Don’t be afraid to express yourself, even if that means you sound crazy.

One thing Carrie always did was speak her mind, sometimes it took her longer than she would’ve liked to speak out but in the end she did. Especially when it came to her relationships, and that is one thing I admire is Carrie called out her guys on their bull- I mean most of her arguments with Big were about why he always kept her at a distance.

Instead of torturing herself she finally demanded answers from him. Sometimes you just have to express yourself even if means men or friends are gonna call you crazy you just have to. We see this in all the characters. Samantha is always saying what she thinks even if it isn't necessarily asked she is honest with all of her friends. And dear sweet Charlotte is always made to feel like the crazy one for her dream for a nuclear family in a beautiful home.

3. Take time to realign

Charlotte goes through hell and high water to make her seemingly perfect marriage to Trey MacDougal last.

Charlotte gives the marriage her all eventually working through the main issues of intimacy, but once Charlotte and Trey learn they can’t have a baby it becomes too much. He leaves and she finds herself alone.

Charlotte loses everything she ever wanted but found grace in her time alone. She needed time to realign her needs. Carrie also does this after the affair with Big. She takes time away to find herself and figure out why she cheated on Aiden. Our bad b Miranda is no stranger to flying solo in her life because her being a lawyer is threatening to some men.

4. When life knocks you down you get back up and keep walking

Carrie gets mugged on the street and has to give up everything including her shoes! When this happens she doesn’t let it keep her from living her life in New York City she just proceeds with a little more aware of her surroundings. We can’t forget the iconic fall on the runway when Carrie embarrasses herself while wearing Dolce and Gabbana.

Carrie could’ve laid there or she could’ve left the show entirely, but no she got up and finished her walk because that’s what you do when you get knocked down.

5. You have to trust your gut feeling, even if it means you don't get what you want

First off cheers to you when you decide to cut something out that you love but is ultimately not the best for you. Carrie had a horrible time trying to convince herself she would say yes if Aiden proposed to her and ended up literally vomiting at the idea.

I really liked the way Carrie handled this situation because instead of just running out on Aiden, she tried really hard to make it work. After he proposed and she accepted, she still felt weird about it and talked to Aiden about her fears. Ultimately it led to them splitting up. And him then threatening to evict her from her place if she didn’t buy it or move so even though I was a total Aiden fan I would say bullet dodged.

6. Relationships are not a complete makeover but a compromise

Carrie wanted to be the girl for Aiden, she wanted to like the cabin in the country and be the girl he could marry but she wasn’t. She still gave it a chance and tried to find interest in his interests. Or with her group of friends, for every man Samantha only uses for sex, there’s a man that Charlotte believes is “the one” and Miranda remains a skeptical critic on everything.

Each of the women has their own perspective on love and life, Charlotte represents a more conservative lifestyle as she strives for marriage while Miranda is looking for a partner who is equal, Samantha doesn’t believe in love she believes in lust, and Carrie contemplates if she is the “marrying” kind.

7. The world is your runway, and honey you BETTER WERK!

Carrie was bold because she treated the streets like a runway, she wore what she felt good in and never apologized for it.

HELLO have you seen those gigantic flowers, that’s bold and when she wore them she was confident. There’s no time like the present to be confident because no matter how you dress or what you do, you will shine.

We all questioned some of the outfit choices but at the end of the day, she’s Carrie freaking Bradshaw.