7 Things I Never Thought I'd Do (But Do Now As A College Student)

The college experience isn't always what you expect!

29
Abby Perez

There's a lot I didn't know about college before I entered: like why certain floors or dorms happen to be crazier for some reason other than stigma or why everything is abbreviated. But despite the fact that I'm a first-generation college student here in the U.S., it came to no surprise that I didn't know all the little things I'd experience in college. And sure, my friends would tell what they were told or what they experienced themselves but universities/colleges are all a different set of situations for us all because were all different. Here are just a few of my individual experiences that possibly have happened or will happen in your college/university experience:

1. Sleep in the library

If your next class/meeting/ study group is far enough away from your dorm that it won't give you a prime amount of sleep, just remember your closest quiet spot--and that's coming from a girl who goes to a university with a very small campus.

2. Meal prep to eat during class

Time management and time crunches are hard in a student's lifestyle...but it is also important to take care of your health. Eating a snack or small meal isn't far-fetched, but I admit, eating a well-portioned meal while taking notes in class can feel weird sometimes. But let me tell you, you get used to your own doubts when your stomach is empty!

3. Plan/schedule introductory meetings with your new professors

...and I mean "new professors" as in every semester! One of my best friends is a few years older than me, so he was able to experience college before I did, and had passed on some great advice for college. A key piece of advice that I (try) to do every semester is to do just this and I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on what they think is "initiative" and an invite to better understand me as a student!

4. Want to sleep by either 9 pm or 3 am

Some things you just have to do, and in my experience of college it comes down to either sleep or homework/studying (hence 9 pm or 3 am...you all get the idea I hope.)

5. Spend 10 hours in a library studying

As said before, you decide what you need to do...but when you do, you just have to go hard.

6. Cook myself rather than going out

Don't get me wrong, I've ALWAYS loved a good home cooked meal. But from childhood to high school, it's the accessibility that you get used to (and obviously don't appreciate.) So when the so-called "Freshman 15" fear comes along, it's important to keep yourself accountable and healthy!

It's not so much (for me) that I want to cook for myself, or with friends, because of dining hall food (but very well contributes), but also to get myself away from delicious but costly (both money and health wise) restaurants/fast food that's just as easy as home cooked meals used to be! Also, it helps me prep for when I'm on my own and have to "adult."

7. Meet friends/relationships that could ever compare to my lifelong, childhood friends/relationships

Don't get me wrong, both relationships/friendships from before and now in college are so important and equal in my heart (depending on the person); however, the reason I thought these two kinds of friendships could never compare (at least in my first year of college) is because of the time component. Little did I not know how undermining I could be in regards to the power of eating, crying, studying, and living together 24/7... and I'm beyond thankful for that.