7 Struggles All Newhouse Kids Know, As Told By "The Office"

COM101, The Cage, and everything in between.

125
Rebloggy.com

While Newhouse is one of the best communication schools in the country, there are a lot of struggles that all Newhouse kids know to be true. I asked a few of my Newhouse peers about their trials and tribulations through the years. Here are just a few of them:

1. The confusing floor plan

Have you ever thought about how Newhouse is laid out? If not, consider this: the first floor of Newhouse 1 is the second floor of Newhouse 2 and the third floor of Newhouse 3. And when you think you've found a classroom, you found it in the wrong building! The moral of the story is there's really no better way to find a classroom than to wander around and hope you happen upon it.

2. Going to Food.com and not finding a seat

It's been so long since I've sat in a booth in Food.com, mainly because one person takes up a booth meant for six people. Don't get me wrong, I take up a table meant for four people sometimes, but when you have to work on a six-person group project and can't find a table to seat all of you, it's very annoying.

3. COM101

Let's face it: grammar is annoying. And listening to someone talk about it for an hour is really not ideal. You learn about the function of question marks, exclamation points, and periods! However, as Newhouse kids, having good grammar is an essential part of our future careers. COM101 is a necessary evil, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's a boring class.

4. The Cage

Taking out equipment. Checking in equipment. 'Nuff said.

And reserving equipment for the weekend? Forget about it.

5. Current Events Quizzes

How do you study for current events quizzes? The answer: YOU CAN'T. There are so many things going on in the world that you'll never be certain what will be on the quiz unless you know where your professor looks to get her news. Some professors are nice enough to tell you, but others just let you fend for yourself. The result is you sobbing while having tabs open to The New York Times, BBC, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post being overwhelmed by headlines.

6. Hearing about what other people are doing

They're in six different clubs while getting straight A's in their six classes while holding down a job and they already have an internship lined up for the summer. Sound like someone you know? We all know that one kid who has their life put together and if you are that kid, congratulations because we all envy you. The workload in Newhouse classes prevents you from doing too much and that only gets more real as time goes on. I've made my peace with 15 credits a semester, a job, and a handful of clubs because if I do anything else, I would drive myself nuts.

7. Being an Introvert

Many Newhouse classes, especially BDJ and TRF, require you to go out and talk to people. During my brief stint as a BDJ major, I had to go up to random people and interview them which was not something I enjoyed doing (since then, I've improved ten-fold). I was so shy and I didn't want to inconvenience people by interrupting their train of thought. Basically, being someone who doesn't like talking to strangers or is shy is pure misery.

But despite the day-to-day struggles, you love your Newhouse fam and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.