7 Stages Of Your First Ballet Class After A Break

It's a rollercoaster of emotions.

484
Ballet Boone North Carolina

Coming back to ballet after a break is an experience. Wether it was a week off of class or a month away from the studio: you feel it. That first class back is a whirlwind of emotions, something like...

1.Excitement!

You see all your old bunhead pals and are instantly psyched to be back. They inform you on the latest in studio gossip(her mom did what?!) and you fill them in on your vacation/trip/time away.

2.Dread

You head to the barre. Now it hits you: you are so dead. This class is going to kill you. Your stamina is probably gone and your muscles are so so so not ready.

3.Hope

You make it through plies. This small accomplishment gives you the delusion that maybe a break was actually what you needed. Thoughts go through your head: "maybe my leg will be higher because I just needed a break to get that extra inch, or perhaps I'll be more flexible now that I haven't been putting too much stress on my body."

4.Reality Check

The tendus and dégagés get fast and you know you were so very wrong. Huffing and puffing and regretting leaving or coming back or both, you realize its going to be a battle.

5.Death by Adagio

Adagio on the barre is the perfect representation of the struggle of your return. Holding your legs up for long periods of time is always difficult, but today is extra difficult because its been a bit. Your face will probably go red and there will be sweat everywhere.

6.Thank God its Center

Leaving the barre is your answer prayer. With two groups the breaks between exercises give you time to breathe.

7.Death part 2 aka small jumps

Petit allegro has you in a tough spot. Your calves are probably already hurting from pointing your feet more than they are used to and now you have to get off the ground. Your heart rate sores higher than your jumps.

8.Flying aka Grand Allegro

You made it! You finally remember why you love ballet and why you came back: to fly. Forgetting the struggle, you dance across the floor like its nothing.

7.The day after

Everything is hurting. Body is just sore. All of it. Sore. Everywhere. Getting out of bed is not an option...unless you have another ballet class to attend.