7 Reasons Why Joining Gamma Phi Beta Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

Sisters aren't just friends you make; they become family!

194
Jordan Brittain

"Why would anyone want to join a sorority? Are you just 'paying' for your friends?"

Those were common words I heard from a few random people. Every girl who joins a sorority does have to pay monthly dues. However, don't you pay monthly dues to join a gym? Or to attend a seminar? Or to sit in on college classes? You meet people in those environments too, but this one just so happens to be with lots of women. However, I didn't want to knock being in a sorority off my list until I actually tried it, and this was what happened.

1. I made friends!

I met people. Every time I walked onto campus I would see a sorority sister I knew. It made campus feel more like home and not some big place where I didn’t know anyone. Not only do you make friends, but you get to be part of a family!

2. A few of my sorority sisters came to my 22nd birthday extravaganza in Nashville, Tennessee...

...and we got to be on a commercial for American Idol! My Big is on my right and my "cousin" is on my left!

3. My Big introduced me to the fine art of swing dancing at Georgia Tech!

That was one of the most fun nights of my life. I danced with the sweetest Christian Fraternity brothers on their lawn at Georgia Tech until 2 a.m. The picture above is us at a Georgia Tech football game she invited me to!

4. It grew on me.

I had to step out and meet people. I was able to engage in various activities and events. I volunteered for Girls on The Run and the KSU Dance Marathon with my sisters! I also became the Chaplain of the sorority for a semester before I went Early Alum.

5. Recruitment was fun!

Even though it was hard at times to stand that long, it really is a lot of fun. You meet new people, and you make new friends. You also get to scream fun songs at the top of your lungs, and even if you’re super tired from standing in high heels for hours, you are in pain with some of the sweetest friends alongside you. It’s worth it.

6. As I went Early Alum and was no longer an active member, I ran into older sorority sisters who had gone early Alum as well and we’ve stayed friends!

I have run into a few sisters at Church, Starbucks and at Ponce City Market. I even went to the beach with a few of them this past spring.

7. You meet other girls in different sororities, and you get to work alongside them!

There are so many benefits to being in a sorority! I believe God orchestrates people you are supposed to meet in a sorority, and it gives opportunities for you to be a light to others! So, back to the question: "Should I join a sorority?" My response is: "I think you should give it a shot. Don't knock it until you try it."