7 Reasons Why Fitness Should Not Be Just A Fad

Workout gear, cool sneakers and a Fitbit mean more than just being trendy.

106

Walking around campus, I see that I am surrounded by people dressed in stylish workout gear, patterned sneakers and a Fitbit to match. Not only that, but the gym is always packed! Sometimes I feel as though I have to fight for a treadmill. Being fit, or at least dressing like you are fit, is the latest trend. I'm not complaining though because being in shape is finally cool.

This is the best trend yet, but I sure hope it doesn't fade away like other trends once did aka silly bands and flare jeans. To make sure that fitness remains trendy and cool, I did a little research on The Center for Disease Control and Prevention to prove that exercise isn't just cool to wear and flaunt, but it's trendy for your health also. Below I listed for you the top health benefits that come with a healthy lifestyle that I found on The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/pa-heal...

1. You Can Control Your Weight

Not only will you look FABULOUS in the workout apparel you love to wear, but exercise and a healthy diet will help you maintain a weight you are comfortable with. According to the CDC, to maintain your current weight, try to do 150 minutes of moderately intense aerobics or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity. You can break these minutes up however you like. You can do 20 minutes a day everyday or you could do 30 minutes a day for five days out of the week. To lose weight, you need to consume less calories than you are burning. However, exercise shouldn't be focused around weight loss and wanting to look a certain way, the focus should be on feeling good.

2. Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome

If you are a young adult, chances are, you won't develop heart disease and high cholesterol until 50 years from now. It seems morbid to worry about some diseases but my thought is, if you can prevent a disease by simply exercising, why not? Exercising for at least 150 minutes per week can reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. Maybe this is a concern that isn't relevant right now, but someday it will be. Let's be proactive about our health!

3. Reduce the Risk of Some Cancers

Cancer. It's an awfully scary word and almost everyone has been affected by this tragic disease. Sometimes cancer is unpreventable, but if exercise can help lower the risk, then by all means, exercise. The CDC noted that physically active people has a lesser chance of developing colon cancer than people who are not active and active women also have a lesser chance of developing breast cancer.

4. Stronger Bones and Muscles

Again, at the youthful age of 20, my bones feel great and I don't like to worry about the future too much. But, I would to hate experience joint and bone problems because I wasn't proactive while I could be. Aerobics, muscle-strengthening and bone-strengthening physical activity can slow the loss of bone density that inevitably occurs with age. Exercise now, stay strong forever!

5. Improve Your Mental Health

Physical activity reduces the risk of depression, helps you sleep better, and keeps our learning skills in tip-top shape. Especially for people who are under a great deal of stress, exercise is the perfect way to give your mind a break and increase endorphins.

6. Feel Stronger in Everyday Activities

Ever since I started working out, I have noticed that I can open jars like a BOSS. Everyday tasks that were once a challenge (like walking up 4 flights of stairs), are now simple and I feel like superwoman when I'm doing them. If you want to feel like superman or superwoman everyday, add a little physical activity to your daily routine. Then you too will literally fly up stairs and be a boss when opening jars.

7. Live Longer

People who are physically active for about 7 hours a week have a 40 percent lower risk of dying early compared to those who are active less than 30 minutes a week, said the CDC. Of course, we all have busy lives and 7 hours a week isn't always possible. You can increase your chances of living longer by managing 150 minutes of exercise per week. Even brisk walking is better than lying on the couch. The point is, a little time dedicated to physical activity is better than none.

If you love working out and looking cute while you do it, then now you know what favors you are doing for your body. However, if you are the type of person who loves wearing fitness apparel but doesn't love exercise, you can see the benefits of putting that apparel to use. Now, stop reading and get sweating!