7 Reasons Why The Outer Banks Is The Perfect Vacation Spot

These North Carolina islands have it all!

15
Emily Washbourn

Finding a vacation spot to please everyone in your family is a hard task. Everyone has different opinions and different interests, making it almost impossible to choose the perfect place. But look no further! The Outer Banks in North Carolina has it all.

This is the best family vacation spot that is sure to check all the boxes for you and your family. And take it from me... I've been vacationing on these beaches for 17 years!

1. The Location

The Outer Banks is located right off the coast of North Carolina. This island stretches for 130 miles and is lined with towns, each with their own unique style and vibe. My family typically stays in Corolla, which is north of Duck and is known to be less crowded and a little quieter than other parts of the island. Duck, on the other hand, is for families who enjoy going out to eat, shop and enjoy different activities more. It is definitely a more lively town than the ones that are dedicated just to the beaches.

2. The Houses

OBX has the ultimate beach houses. Every house is decorated by its owner in their own style, always with a beach-y twist. These mansions are every vacationer's dream. There is enough room for your entire family, a full kitchen to cook, a pool and hot tub in the back for when you're sick of the beach and much more. I love having my entire extended family in the same house and the Outer Banks is one of the only places where this is possible!

3. The Beaches

While the Outer Banks may not have crystal clear water and white sand, it surely doesn't take away from the experience of the beaches. The sand is soft, the beach is wide and the waves are perfect for boogie boarding. Being from New Jersey, it is the best feeling in the world being able to sit and enjoy the beach without being in arm's length reach of another random family. I love how empty the beach feels, which just adds to the relaxation factor.

4. TimBuck II

An odd name for an amazing shopping center! With over 60 shops, restaurants and recreation areas, TimBuck II has it all. When you are getting tired of the beach, this is a fun place to go and walk around. My cousins and I love racing each other on the go karting track, grabbing ice cream(my favorite place is Big Buck's Ice Cream) and wondering into the variety of shops.

5. The Original Duck Donuts

Self-described as "warm, delicious and made-to-order donuts," this donut shop first opened its doors in Duck, North Carolina. So not only do you get to enjoy these amazing donuts at any time of day, you get to order them from the original store! There is always a line out the door, a true testament to just how popular these donuts are among OBX regulars. My family goes crazy for these and within minutes of bringing them home, they are gone!

6. The History

The Outer Banks has more history than any other vacation spot I have ever been to. Home to the first lost colony, Roanoke, where the Wright Brother's invented the first airplane and several light houses. Not only can you enjoy the beaches here, but you can learn a lot about America's history through tours and experiences.

7. The Memories

OBX has provided me with 17 years of memories that I wouldn't trade for the world. This is the only time of the year that my entire family is under the same roof and we all get to hang out for a week with nothing else to do. It gives us all time to catch up and make more memories. I love spending time with my aunts, uncles, and cousins and this tradition just makes our family bond even stronger.